Hello From Australia!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TooManyChoices

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Been keeping fish for a few years now, always looking to learn more and share what I can...however I'm more of a secretly lurking info leech
drool.gif

Anyway, live about an hour south east of Melbourne, Australia. I'm 19 and of to study science and liberal arts at uni in a few weeks time with a major in marine biology!

Here's my photo thread, Enjoy.
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/413307-some-of-my-aquarium-and-fish-photos/

G'Day and Welcome
welcomeani.gif
, nice to see another Aussie here
yes.gif
Enjoy the forum.
good.gif

I guess more lifestyle. I've always wanted to visit Australia so I have to decided to go over on a years working holiday visa. 

Planning on a month long holiday on the way over in Thailand :).

I hope your beautiful country is everything I am hoping for :).

It is home to some of the most spectacular natural attractions and the cities (Melbourne in particular) are awesome!

TooManyChoices said:
It is home to some of the most spectacular natural attractions and the cities (Melbourne in particular) are awesome!
I have a friend in Melbourne so i hope to visit there :). I will be located in Perth initially tho.

Forget the southern parts of Aust. the exciting places are in the North
wink.png
 . Oh sure some parts of southern states get snow, and have quite a few great white sharks in the ocean as well as seals and leafy sea dragons along with blue ringed octocpus and a few species of European birds that deliberately got released and have managed to set up limited homes.
But the north has land and water critters that are deadly, from cassowaries to croc's
yes.gif
 . But the really exciting things about Northern Aust is the numbers of fish, shrimp and snails still to be disovered and classified. Like freshwater pipefish and fresh water moray eels.
But seriously I am sure you will have a great time no matter where you are in Australia,
good.gif
  it is an amazing diverse country in terms of landscape and weather.

Don't make me jealous :) Use the PM system when talking about Australia or even Thailand
laugh.png

Baccus said:
Forget the southern parts of Aust. the exciting places are in the North
wink.png
 . Oh sure some parts of southern states get snow, and have quite a few great white sharks in the ocean as well as seals and leafy sea dragons along with blue ringed octocpus and a few species of European birds that deliberately got released and have managed to set up limited homes.
But the north has land and water critters that are deadly, from cassowaries to croc's
yes.gif
 . But the really exciting things about Northern Aust is the numbers of fish, shrimp and snails still to be disovered and classified. Like freshwater pipefish and fresh water moray eels.
But seriously I am sure you will have a great time no matter where you are in Australia,
good.gif
  it is an amazing diverse country in terms of landscape and weather.
This post excites me
smile.png

My girlfriend wants to visit the North, like Darwin and that. I'm not sure if we will get around to it tho.

@snazy - Sorry man, i'm just so excited hahaha.

It has been a long time since I have been to Darwin, but I mostly grew up in Nhulunbuy/ Gove and my memories of the place are all fond, even if I rarely got to swim at its amazing beaches (too many croc's), and even the fresh water creeks had large salt water croc's. Northern Western Australia (the Kimberly region) has Lake Argyle a massive man made dam that is a inland sea that rivals Sydney Harbour (which is natural but salty), and not too far away is Broome Australia's pearl capital. WA also has Monkey Mia where wild dolphins come into shore and interact with people. There are also amazing reefs off WA full of fish and corals and even Whale sharks can be found there.

There are just a few rules with surviving in Australia, if its a snake it probably is poisonous so just leave it alone, Huntsman spiders look scary but most of them are harmless (just remember not all of them have been fully tested and classified yet), our most posionous spider is found in NSW and is a gorund dwelling spider, and the beaches although beautiful have their own dangers...and if you swim at a Life Guard patroled beach swim between the flags!. And if driving out and about in the bush tell people where your going and should be back.
Oh and don't believe the mobile phone providers when they say they have 90% coverage across Australia, they are only talking about populated areas the land in between towns often has no mobile network coverage.

GouramiJay said:
Great advice Baccus. Thanks very much!
 No worries, also remember that our sun is vicious sun screen, long sleeves, hats (not caps) and sunnies are a must and most of the year so is insect repellent.

Most reactions

trending

Back