jtipton
New Member
- Joined
- Mar 7, 2008
- Messages
- 56
- Reaction score
- 0
- Points
- 0
This is my very first post at FishForums.net and I wanted to say hello. I took a few years off from fish keeping and recently jumped back in with my first brackish setup. It is a 20 gallon tall setup. It has calcite sand, lava rock, driftwood to the surface, and planted hornwort. I have a Fire Claw Crab (I think?), a Butterfly-Goby Waspfish, 5 Blue Legged Hermit Crabs, and some Ghost Shrimp as feeders/cleaners. I keep the salinity at a sg of 1.010. I would like to add an archer and some bumblebee gobies. That's it for now. Here is a picture of Ahab, the Fire Claw Crab. If you can positively ID him that would be great. I think he is a pseudosesarma bocourti. I tried to take pictures of the other guys, but everything is blurry. How do you take pictures through aquarium glass?
Anyway, hello again. I sure did miss this hobby!
Anyway, hello again. I sure did miss this hobby!
to the forum. I don't have a brackish tank but I just thought I would say hello.
I end up taking many and keeping a few good pics, experimenting with and without flash at different shutter speeds and appertures. Macro settings are a godsend
They are ambush predators, so they don't do a lot of swimming. He likes to park it among the Hornwort, like in the picture below, and wait for unsuspecting Ghost Shrimp to swim by. He also ate the platy fry I had in the tank. He is just now getting acclimated, and was chasing the shrimp last night (unsuccessfully). They aren't great swimmers, and kind of hop along the substrate. The crab is very easy to keep. He eats the Hornwort that is in the tank. They are primarily scavengers, and will normally only eat fish that are dead, injured, or sick. You probably already know this, but they are escape artists. My tank is duct taped in the back to keep him in. They need access to air during molting, so I have a piece of driftwood that rises above the surface. He can also "swim" by rapidly moving his legs, and can get onto the filter in the back by jumping from the driftwood. He will cruise up there for filter treats now and again. Thanks again for the camera help.







