Heating New Water?

Jimbo1984

Fish Crazy
Joined
Sep 19, 2007
Messages
269
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Cheshire, UK
Hi. We have mixer taps so I match the temperature by hand testing the water coming out of the tap against some old tank water in a measuring jug. I've never used the kettle method.

Is boiler heated water a problem? I read a thread before stating it is no good for tanks as it's been sat in copper. Also, that it can cause fish losses.

I've used boiler water for over 2 years with no problems, using Seachem Prime to dechlorinate.
 
I think its something to do with what kinda boiler you have, if you have a combi boiler that heats the water as needed its fine, its if you have an immersion type thingy where the water has been sat for a while, or maybe its the other way around, anyway I have a combi and also used hot water from the tap and never had a problem either.
 
Hi. We have mixer taps so I match the temperature by hand testing the water coming out of the tap against some old tank water in a measuring jug. I've never used the kettle method.

Is boiler heated water a problem? I read a thread before stating it is no good for tanks as it's been sat in copper. Also, that it can cause fish losses.

I've used boiler water for over 2 years with no problems, using Seachem Prime to dechlorinate.

i don't think it makes a difference. what source your hot water comes from. may people use the hot top with no, apparent, problems. but if you are doing no more than 30% don't bother heating it at all. many of us don't.
 
Only heard/had concern myself with old storage tanks and new copper pipes. Old tanks can leach chemicals, but if you have used it without probs for 2 years then I would stick to what you're doing.

Some dechlorinators bind up loose metal ions like copper ions. So maybe check what the stuff youre using has in it before/if you consider changing water treatments. The combination is working.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top