Heating Issues

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

hives

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi there, i recently upgraded from a 10g to a 22g, the guy told me my current 50 watt heater would be fine, it is doing the job ok but the light is constantly on, so is this an issue? should i buy a more powerfull one.. it seems to work but as the light is pretty much always on is this going to cause the heater to break, and will the temp change and stress the fish? Thanks

Have your thermometer readings changed much? I have around a 20 gallon and use a 100 watt heater

well they varey from 76-79f, Ive had a few fish die recently from unexplained reasons, only like 2 or 3 in the last week, but im wondering if my heater is good enough and as its always on i dont want to stress the fish with a not good enough heater but the guy in the pet shop said my 50watt would do it but now im starting to think diffrent, so i thought id ask the wizards becuase you guys always put me straight, cheers for the reply kris

If you have the money you would probably be best upgrading and then you can always keep the smaller one as a spare (or even a new set up :p).

yeah your right, i have a 10g tank, deluxe hood with light and everything so if i got a new 100watt heater i could use the 10g as a hospital or even a love pad for horny fish, cheers kris for your help much appreciated.

If I was you I'd have it set up! You could definately use it as a quarantine/hospital tank or even another tank for some small fish/shrimp etc!

Good Luck :)

Today i went to the pet shop and asked for a 100watt heater for my 3footer, they laughed and said i needed a 150watt! so i bought that anyway, just about to plop this in and turn it on so hopefully that should be the end of my heatings issues, cheers

I would advise you to wait 15 minutes before plugging it in or it could blow up and break. Also I use a 50 watt in my long 20g and it works fine.

yeah well my 50watt worked, but it was always on this using alot of power and struggling. Now this one im told should turn off more, therefore saving a bit of elecy and not varying the tank temp so more as it cuts out the struggle. Yes i did leave it off before switching on thanks, looks like a good show so far cheers

I would have bought at least a 200w Heater/stat for a 3 footer, Hives. But you have already made your purchase. Let us know how you go.
Regards
BigC

So what are the plans for the smaller tank?

hmm, well i managed to get a fluval 2 today for the 22g, so now i have spair

10g tank
50watt heater
hood light
hydor 1 filter
fluval 1

!

so i might have to make a betta tank or use it as a hospital.. hmm dunno yet, unless someone wants to buy it off me?

BigC... I have a 3foot, 35 gallon tank with a 100watt jager heater set to 79 and its not on half the time. I also have a 100watt heater in a 42gallon and it has no problem keeping up, I don't really see why you suggest a 200watt?

My tanks are even kept in the basement and I am so cheap I hardley heat my house in the winter :) As he said, his 50watt was still heating it just fine but he was concerned that the heater was on all the time, so no need to go over 100, let alone alone the 150 he ended up getting.

I think the heater you have purchased is more then enough, so no worries there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back