Heating A Fish Room

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

personally, i would be buying the best insulation on the market, not cutting any corners with that, then heating the room itself to 22/23 degrees and then using heaters in the tanks that require that little extra. xD

Thats all very well and good, but when you look at the kingspan insulation (the best stuff) its £44 a SHEET!!! I just got insulation for my walls and roof for a total cost of half of that! Afraid to be able to spend that much money on the best insulation would mean i'd expect fish breeding to be my lift haha

Kingspan TW50 / Xtratherm cavity sheets 1200x450x75mm x 10pk ( 60 sheets )

£400 buy out

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingspan-TW50-Xtratherm-cavity-sheets-1200x450x75mm-x-10pk-60-sheets-/330674833814?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4cfdc18996

400 quid aint much when you can easily spend that on a 6 foot tank. Would probably pay for itself inside 2/3 winters. :)

probably better deals around, that was the first i stumbled over

for a 4.5x4.5m room with a partition wall, like i am building, i would need about 110 sheets at that size, so £800! compare that to the £16 i spent today and it sure does seem to be a lot of money! But each to their own. the outset cost for an R-value of 5.1 compared to the R-value of this stuff i have which is 4.5 just doesn't do it justice in my book for what is, a fish room!

But anyway, everybody needs to make their own choices......

Now back to my heaters!!

The dehumidifier will use a lot of leccy, ours uses 400w per hour, so nearly 10kw a day. If you're already looking at huge bills for heating and filtration then you may not care, but I found the cost of running that was unacceptable, compared to the price of running my tanks, which is actually fairly small.

Hey,

Just wondering what you based your calculation for your dehumidifier on? I have one (about £120 from Amazon) that you set the humidity you want (50%). I just did a test run using an energy monitor. Over a 72 hour period, it was on for 13 hours using a total of 9.5kwh, so a total cost of about 50p a day. Not as bad as i thought it would be. Its a 750w pull when its on too

Ouch, that's still £180 a year.

Having said that, I wonder if you could use the condensate as a low toxin water source?

Ouch, that's still £180 a year.

Having said that, I wonder if you could use the condensate as a low toxin water source?

The test was in a room which is not heated, so there should be more condensation according to the theory stated earlier. I wonder what cost there will be in the room once i add vents at floor level to encourage ventilation....

I think i will need to put in an extractor, or roof vent too if if the dehumidifier cost much more to run. But i hope it will be less - good fitting lids on all tanks, warm room to reduce condensation....

any advise on what to do with my walls and roof in the way of a covering? Plasterboard won't last too long haha. I thought about tiling the walls, but even cheap tiles won't be cheap....and then there is the roof!

you can get water resistant board for use in bathrooms. It's green usually.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/moistureshield-tapered-edge/invt/190540/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back