Heaters...argh

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Torrean

The Hairy Potter
Reaction score
About a week ago I noticed that my ten gallon was warmer than it usually is and that my jelly wasn't very active at all. I checked the temperature and it was well over 90 degrees farhenheit. Apparently I knocked the heater knob over and didn't notice it for god knows how long. I turned it back down and did a water change to bring down the temp and all is well.

WELL I just went into my fishroom and happened to put my hand on the glass of my 55. It felt much warmer than usual. I checked that thermometer and it read 88 (that's as high as the little stick on thermometers go. That's WAY too high. I have WCMM in that tank...a subtropical fish. i looked at the heater and the elements in the thing were glowing red hot. I think it's broken. I turned down the heater until it switched off...which was a really big turn. I don't know how it got turned up so high.

I think i may need to invest in an alarm system that tells when the temperature goes outside of a certain range...like 76-82. I sure hope my heater isn't busted...I've never seen elements glow like that. All the fish seem fine...actually they seem happier and more active than I've ever seen them...not gasping or breathing hard or anything...very odd. Anyway that's my complaint of the day.

Glad to hear all your fish were ok Torrean. One of my biggest fears is one of my heaters dying and overheating my fish. Those digi thermometers look good!

EDIT: If a heater breaks, would it keep infinitely heating or just go as high as the highest adjustable temp?

it depends on how it breaks i guess. some just cut out. The thermometor in my 55 just kept heating and heating. I guess there is a limit to how hot a heater can make a certain volume of water thankfully. I'll look into those digital thermometers. Thanks for the concern guys. I have replaced my heater and now everything should be ok

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back