Heater Not Working?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

sonicchild86

Reaction score
Hey,
So my girlfriend has kept cold fish for a while now and after talking to someone at a pet shop she has decided to get some tropical fish. First however she needed a new tank, which is a 19L and a heater. She currently has two fish in it from her old tank as they can live in both cold and warm water. However I don't think the 25 watt heater is working. Here is why.... she has it set to 24c but the thermometer which she has in the tank also says that the temperature is 20-21c. So she took it back to the shop and they said it was working fine and to set it a little higher to make sure it comes on. I have not once seen it come on and Emma has only seen it on when she has adjusted the temperature. Can anyone help us to figure out why it is not working as we don't want to get any fish until we know the tank is suitable for them. I'll be ringing the pet store tomorrow to see what they say but seen as they said it is working fine I am sceptical to what they will say.

Thanks!

Ellie

because you only have a 5 gallon tank you will not be able to get tropical fish.. unless you want guppies. even then you cannot have a lot. that aside the tank needs time for the water to warm up. usually over night the temp of the tank will be what you set it as. if you have a filter (which you will need and then have to cycle the tank) it'll move the water around to help distribute the warm with cold.. mixing. if by 24 hrs the tank is not at the temp you set it at then you have a defected heater and should go get it replaced.

What are the fish you're planning on having in this tank?

How many days have you had the heater for?

I am suspecting the thermometer is one of those adhesive ones you stick on the outside of the tank, am I right?

I wouldn't even advise guppies! A single male betta would suit 5 gallons and are pact with character and can be really beautiful! Also my thermometer reads 2-3 degrees lower than what my heater is set at doesn't bother me none not to sure if it'sthe heater or thermometer off! Fairly expensive heater not all that old either!! Anyways if it is a stick on one They really arnt as accurate so perhaps get one that goes inside the aquarium! If u already have one perhaps just turning the heater up some!!

Hey,
We haven't looked at what fish we are going to get yet, but the heater has been in the tank for a week now. We thought it was defective too but when we took it back they said it was fine?! The thermometer that we have is an inside glass one so the reading should be accurate. Sounds like we will be taking it back again.
Also with regards to fish we were told we could have 6 if 3 were little.... Which is obviously not true as everyone is saying this is a small tank. So what fish should and can we get? Atm we have 2 Minos which we had in our previous tank. I'm not much of a fish person as it is my girlfriends tank and fish but I just wondered so that I can tell her when she comes back from her mums what we should and shouldn't put in the tank once the heater is fixed. Thanks guys.

TBH, in 19 litres I wouldn't put anything else but shrimps, and maybe a couple of snails.

As far as I'm concerned the minimum for any fish is 30 litres, and that is a male betta by himself.

A colony of crystal red shrimps is nothing to sniff at, thay are very active and entertaining little critters.

There are many options for a tank of your size. Have a look HERE for some ideas. :)

Shrimp can be fun, but there are options for fish.

The minnows may not be suitable, the reason being that they are active fish. :/

Seriously? A breeding colony of endlers in 12 liters?

Also many of the fish in that list aren't exactly what I'd suggest to beginners.

I think that list is irresponsible.

I do agree that some things on that list aren't the best, one of them I disagree with is having the two females in a 3 gallon. 

However, it can be used as a base, and, is better than nothing.

I have 3 heaters that all do NOT heat the water to the temperature you set them at.
24 = 21 on them all.

Blondielovesfish said:
I do agree that some things on that list aren't the best, one of them I disagree with is having the two females in a 3 gallon. 

However, it can be used as a base, and, is better than nothing.

There is no explanation on how difficult some species can be, there is no indication that small tanks are more unstable than larger ones, where it suggests breeding colonies, like guppies or endlers there is no indication that the tank will not be sufficient for the fry.

This list is the best way for a newbie to invite a disaster and get fed up of the hobby right at the start.

In theory it's 1cm of fish for each 1L but I have half of that or even less(300L tank). With 20L only thing that comes into my mind is lamp eye (they grow up to 3cm) so you could have 4-5. They're not very attractive for beginners and should be kept in small groups (10 about). You could instead have fighting fish or few guppies.
Again with such a small tank it's difficult to expect miracles, optimum tank for beginners is +100 litres (bigger tank better stablity = less deaths).
Personally I would give back that tank or use it for fry fish & shrimp.

Edit: It's not 1L per 1W, it's actually 0.3W up to 1W per liter depending on plants demand. Moss etc. has 0.3 and standard is 0.5W, for more demanding plants usually with nice intence colors you're looking at 1W max. Sorry for mistake

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back