Heater Issue

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Coolysd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi!
I have a Fluval E300 in my 75gal tank. It's set at 83°. I don't have central heating and air and it can get pretty cold. It appears that the heater can't keep up. Example, right now the screen is flashing blue @ 79°.
Should I be concerned? I'm going to start stocking soon so I'm checking and checking and rechecking :yahoo:😄

TIA y'all!

Hi!
I have a Fluval E300 in my 75gal tank. It's set at 83°. I don't have central heating and air and it can get pretty cold. It appears that the heater can't keep up. Example, right now the screen is flashing blue @ 79°.
Should I be concerned? I'm going to start stocking soon so I'm checking and checking and rechecking :yahoo:😄

TIA y'all!
I have several of the Fluval E300 heaters. They are excellent heaters but very sensitive and need plenty of water flowing past the heater. Sometimes you will get a 'LF' message meaning low flow. Other times, not. Try this:
unplug the heater to reboot.
Make sure you have a noticeable water circulation past the heater.
If this does not work, then you are trying to heat the tank beyond the heater's capability.
How large is your tank? What is your room's temperature? Your heater might not be powerful enough to overcome the ambient room temperature and your desired tank temperature.
Just curious, what are you keeping in the tank that requires 83 degrees?

I have several of the Fluval E300 heaters. They are excellent heaters but very sensitive and need plenty of water flowing past the heater. Sometimes you will get a 'LF' message meaning low flow. Other times, not. Try this:
If this does not work, then you are trying to heat the tank beyond the heater's capability.
How large is your tank? What is your room's temperature? Your heater might not be powerful enough to overcome the ambient room temperature and your desired tank temperature.
Hi!
Thanks so much, will definitely try that!
It's a 75 gallon tank. It actually just finished it's fishless cycle today, hence the 83°. I'll be stocking within the next couple of days. I want to get a few Golden Dojos and some Neon Tetras to start. I'll be dropping the temp to 72° - 74°.

I have 2 Aquaclear 110s and a sponge filter running. The heater is in the back corner which is typically where I always put it. Should I relocate it? If so, where would be the best location. Here's a pic for reference.
Thanks for your help! Can't wait to put some life into it!

Attachments

• 20231111_000607.jpg
    20231111_000607.jpg
    261.7 KB · Views: 21
Oh and the room temp is pretty cold during winter and I typically don't use a room heater. Right now it's 50° outside, I'm sure the temp in the apartment isn't much higher than that.

Your plants look great! My eyes are terrible and I can't see the heater but I keep mine horizontally along the middle at the back, I read ages ago that that's a good way to try and ensure more even heat throughout the tank.

Whoa, nice tank!
I see you are using a sponge filter too. That is good. Suggest you move your heater next to the sponge filter or between the HOB's where the heater will get plenty of water circulating. I personally have my E300 just above the return of a sponge filter in my Archerfish tank. The bubbles and water movement keep the tank evenly warm. If you want to keep the heater in its current location, suggest you obtain a very small powerhead and direct the flow over your heater.
Second issue is your desired tank temperature vs the room's ambient temperature. You mention the outside temperature. That is irrelevant unless the tank is outdoors. What is your lowest room temperature? If you are keeping your apartment in the low to mid 60's a 300Watt heater will probably not keep up. The last thing you want is that heater running continuously. They are not designed to do that. You might need a second heater. I would personally use two if the room temperature is lower than say, 68 degrees. Just so you know, I use two heaters in my 90-gallon Archerfish tank. One is an E300 and the other is different brand at 200 Watts. Also, be sure to use a quality thermometer to verify the tank's temperature. Don't trust the settings on any heater.

Lovely tank. I was always under the impression dojo loaches are cold-water fish?

Your plants look great! My eyes are terrible and I can't see the heater but I keep mine horizontally along the middle at the back, I read ages ago that that's a good way to try and ensure more even heat throughout the tank.
Thanks! I would love to take credit for them, however I just purchased them a few days ago from a lfs. Hopefully I can keep them alive!

Whoa, nice tank!
I see you are using a sponge filter too. That is good. Suggest you move your heater next to the sponge filter or between the HOB's where the heater will get plenty of water circulating. I personally have my E300 just above the return of a sponge filter in my Archerfish tank. The bubbles and water movement keep the tank evenly warm. If you want to keep the heater in its current location, suggest you obtain a very small powerhead and direct the flow over your heater.
Second issue is your desired tank temperature vs the room's ambient temperature. You mention the outside temperature. That is irrelevant unless the tank is outdoors. What is your lowest room temperature? If you are keeping your apartment in the low to mid 60's a 300Watt heater will probably not keep up. The last thing you want is that heater running continuously. They are not designed to do that. You might need a second heater. I would personally use two if the room temperature is lower than say, 68 degrees. Just so you know, I use two heaters in my 90-gallon Archerfish tank. One is an E300 and the other is different brand at 200 Watts. Also, be sure to use a quality thermometer to verify the tank's temperature. Don't trust the settings on any heater.
Thanks!!
And thanks for the info!! Since I hopefully will be adding some fish today, I have the heater unplugged so I can get the temp down. I was trying to lower it and it wasn't responding. I may have to replace it, we'll see. I am going to relocate it probably in between the HOB's as you suggested. I do have the JW thermometer in the front left while the heater is in the right back. So far they have been pretty consistent with each other. I've had them for about 5 years or so.
Well, I'm off to fish shop!! :thanks: :dreads: :dreads: :dreads:

I have a 29 and use 2 heaters, one on each side, Have a E200 on one side, on a slant with a long bubble wall air stone under it, then a cheaper fluval on the other side by my Fluval output. I keep my tank at 77-78 for 4 years now. Just have 6 Rasbora's, 4 Zebra Danios (who are 4 years old, started with 6 to seed the tank 4 years ago!!!) 6 cory cats, 2 amano shrimps and a Nerite snail. Planted tank. Oh picked up 2 Gouramis yesterday.

Most reactions

Back