Healthy Fish Food

MrWhite

Fishaholic
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
405
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
UK Manchester
Does any one here make there own fish food full of nutrition that they feed there fish daily with if so plz could you post you recipes as i need a few ideas what will be good for them ive heard of lots of ppl doing this
 
I would have thought that the best food for fish was that closest to what nature intended - live foods, such as live daphnia, brine shrimp, bloodworm etc. Next to that come the frozen foods and fresh veggies (lettuce, peas, courgette etc), algae wafers, dried foods and good quality flake (the flake food incorporates a bit of everything they need, plus essential vitamins etc).

Not sure what else you could feed a fish on that you would make yourself, to be honest. I'm sure someone on these boards will know what you mean.

I know that feeding live foods really does boost the health and vitality of a fish - have seen it for myself with my own fish. They grow quicker, colours are more intense, they are more alert etc than when I feed flake or dry foods. They generally seem happier. Also, when they are mating, giving live foods has helped my convicts produce larger, healthier batches of fry.

Some live foods can carry bacteria - tubifex worms are known for this if they have not been cleaned thoroughly first. To be on the safe side I always rinse ANY live foods before feeding to my fish - and you can always add a bit of Myxazin to the water you rinse them in to sterilise them.

Anyway, I'll be interested to see those recipes you mentioned, if anyone posts any. Always open to learn new things.

Athena
 

Most reactions

Back
Top