Healing time on injuries...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Origami Gourami

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Howdy everyone,

I have a couple of male Dwarf Gouramis, who seem to have a fickle relationship; friends one minute, then nipping and slapping each other about the face with their 'front sticks' the next. During one of these arguments it would appear my favourite sustained a nasty injury to his face, just under his mouth. It's a shame because he's a handsome chap, with some great blue markings on his little red bod. Now he looks more like Gary Oldman's character from Hannibal... :crazy:

I've been adding Melafix to the tank for a while now, coming up to a fortnight, but it doesn't seem to be healing or changing appearance. Does this mean it's a scar now that he'll talk about in years to come, or should I wait longer before stopping treatment? I don't want to be putting additive in for too much longer as I don't think it's good in the long run.

PS I made a floating leaf shelter out of old plastic plant leaves at the weekend, specifically for the Gourami community, the next morning my hitherto shy Opaline was happily basking underneath, and has been a fan of his new den ever since. Bless! :lol:

Your a good Gourami owner! I learned the hard way that Gouramis love overhead plant cover. My Powder Blue Dwarf was extremely happy when I had floating plants in my tank. He used it as shelter and as a hunting ground. When I removed those plants because it looked messy to me, I noticed that he wasn't quite as happy. He now hides in a corner under a lower plant much more often. I'll have to go back and buy him more floaties even if they do clog up the filter intake valve.

As for the wound... I think it's probably a scar by now. Two weeks of meds and no improvement tends to tell me that.

BTW: I LOVED your analogies when describing your Gourami's situation!

Thanks Loboto-Me, that's cheered me up!

The Opaline loves his shelter, especially since my Red Tail Shark implemented a 'no feelers allowed' entrance policy to the castle after he claimed it as his territory!

I can heartily recommend an Opaline though, the colour of their scales as they dart past the light is really pretty. When they're feeling excitable that is, mine alternates between a quiet reclusive lifestyle and occasional bouts of circuit training! :dunno:

PS Think you're right about the scar, never mind. If only they made small Phantom of the Opera style masks...

Most reactions

Back