Having Fun With Pet Shop Guppy Colours

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You can mix swordtail color patterns in a tank and get interesting results. Since all domestic swords are already the result of extensive breeding programs, most of the results will be something that people have seen before, at least at the breeder's place. They might result in something you and your LFS have never seen before though.

IMG_8047.JPG
pet shop guppy's/ cross this male Moscow Blue guppy with a half black female
below a young male from the cross

IMG_7748.JPG

IMG_8771.JPG[attachment=67485:IMG_8781.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_8770.JPG
    IMG_8770.JPG
    17.9 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_8781.JPG
    IMG_8781.JPG
    21.3 KB · Views: 319
Just wondering, do you use a separate tank to keep the guppy fry in? And also, is 'weeding out' effectively culling or selling those few that don't half good colors?

I let them flock breed when I wont to experiment I keep the females in a separate tank . any deformed fry should be culled. The guppy’s with not so good colours sell .ok.

IMG_9290.JPG

got this nice looking double sword from a pet shop. kept it with this bottom sword guppy for the passed 6 months to clear female/fry from other male, so did not save any fry until a few days ago she had 30 fry i hope to get some double swords from this brood

not often seen in lfs  I noticed this female ribbon fin guppy  among a tank full of usual female guppy's.
 only normal males can be bred back to females, long finned males / gonopodiums) are unable to empregnant females
IMG_0240 (640x480).jpg

I wish my guppies threw as well as yours.  All my guppy fry from my son's males all looked like their yellow tailed mother...lol  I do have some new guppy fry that I'm hoping will actually show their father's traits in them.  They may also throw off the markings of my other two males I just got like a month ago.   I don't know though yet they all still look basic colored like my last two broods. 

if you have any male/ fry that   turn  out looking different from basic colour/ markings breed it back to the best female you may get some nice colours from them

I love waiting to see what colours the babies are going to turn out! 
I am hoping to get some nice fry from these 2.

4f1d8d59-c06f-458a-ae1e-4a3a87f3475c_zpsa80e9cb1.jpg

The males almost all black,the females half black but her dorsal fin and  tails got yellow spotty pattern. I would love black babies but how do the genetics work? My last 6 batches of fry were all different because the females came pregnant. This is the first time I am purposefully putting a male and female together. 
I have 5 females in the tank, 1 above which is the only half black, 2 are pale gold with neon blue tails. One is heavily pregnant, the other a young virgin. 1 is white with a neon blue tail (I thought she was all white when I picked her) Lastly I have one with yellow/black cobra tail. I should have some interesting results!

the half black is a good choice I think the fry  will be a mix, you never know  you may get lucky that's the fun of  breeding pet shop guppies
jt will be interesting to see the results,
 I think it's only a mater of time this old spouse will be keeping guppies again lol.

Yes! Lets keep going on about them and posting pics of our gorgeous fry and she wont be able to resist! 
innocent.gif

lol
I am crossing this one with a half  black not so much for the colour as it may be carrying the ribbon fin gene,
IMG_0190.jpg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back