Have I Got A Bacterial Bloom?

markandhisfish

comfortably numb
Joined
May 23, 2008
Messages
6,879
Reaction score
8
Points
0
Location
GB
what does your typical bacterial bloom look like? my tank has looked like crap for a good few days now and no amount of substrate cleaning or water changes seems to do anything. its misty and murky . my substrate is argos play sand which has been in for about 5 or 6 weeks before that it was gravel . well established tank been running 6 months filters for 2 years . i clkean/stir my sand weekly with about 30 to 40% water change . clean my filters regularly . i just dont get how my water can look so crap when i keep on top of maintinence etc.

have tried nutrafin particulate water cleare thinking it may be suspended particles but no improvement.

have seen nutrafin make a bio-clear which breaks down organic matter assosiated with bacteral blooms is this worth trying?

if not what can i do to get my crystal clear water back?

last water test was yesterday all fine 0 ammonia and nitrite nitrate less than 15 tank temp 27 deg c
 
edit i think the best way to describe the water is "hazy" it looks like the tank hasnt been looked after
 
its when the water goes cloudy, sometimes milk coloured, however this is not to be confused with substrate debris from not washing the sand/gravel well enough
 
my water is a bit cloudy. sand was washed before i put it into the tank
 
probably just the bloom then, this is not harmful in anyway, its a good sign that the tank is starting to gain the bacteria it needs to process fishes waste- do wc to get rid if u want
 
Sounds like a typical bloom. Have you changed the filters over yet mark, I know you were getting another eheim? Have you tried changing the filter floss to grab the fine particles?

Anything rotting anywhere, like some plants perhaps?
 
im about to do yet another sand vac and w/c

not ordered the new filter yet minxy all plants are silk ( ncheers vinny!) going to remove all decor and check for uneaten food i cant see
 
I wouldnt keep doing vacs and w/c if you have already done alot, it wont really help.

You shouldnt also need to stir the sand up either as the cories will do that for you.
 
Hi,

I'm going through the same thing at the moment, thought it was something I was doing wrong. I've got a good set of bicep's from with the water changes I've been doing. Ive been using acu clear and the Aqua safe when putting in the new water. I will just have to be patient then I guess. Good luck to you aswell, I hope your tank returns to the clear state soon.

:good:
 
Bacterial Blooms Explained

This should help you understand what a bacterial bloom is, why they happen, and what you should do to treat / prevent them.

Water changes are almost useless to control it, but gravel vaccing should help immensely.

BTT :good:
 
well ive been over the tank with a tooth comb checking for any uneaten food etc i had missed found a little under bogwood but not much did w/c while i was at it. was great straight after the change however now it does appear to be clouding up ever so slightly.

so as it stands at the moment ive got absolutely spotless substrate clean/clear filters water changed more times than an incontinent drunks trousers still a slight hint of mist :crazy:

not that my kribs care they are spawning as we speak :S
 
I know its driving you nuts, but I would leave it to settle for a good few days, lightly feed and it will more likely clear on its own. Dont know how much difference it makes, but Id be tempted to leave the lights off for a couple of days too.
 
I know its driving you nuts, but I would leave it to settle for a good few days, lightly feed and it will more likely clear on its own. Dont know how much difference it makes, but Id be tempted to leave the lights off for a couple of days too.


Agreed, I wouldn't touch the tank at all for the next two to three days, not even for feeds,
With good circulation and a minimal amount of ammonia being produced it should clear quite quickly
 
Not 100% sure, but I can't see the light making too much of a difference
 

Most reactions

Back
Top