Have I Done The Wrong Thing Playing Cupid

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Littlemonkey

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I had been looking for ages for a female, after losing the original one to dropsy. So I was so excited when I received a new one. When she was first introduced in to the aquarium, she was swimming and eating with the other fish, the male didn't pay her much attention. Then later on I noticed that he had started to chase her, only a couple of times but she outstripped him.
This morning however, I couldn't see her, he was patrolling his area of fauna. I found her up in the corner by the filter, her feelers looked crooked (they were both fine the night before) and there was a tear on her tail. I switched off the lights on the tank as normal. Have I done the wrong thing or will he calm down and accept her. I know he is the culprit because none of the other fish are aggresive. :crazy: with worry.

The Male is used to being the 'king' in his tank and so acted as expected IMO,

I would take the Male out of the tank and leave it in a bucket whilst the layout of the tank is rearranged, do a small water change and then add the Male back to the tank and see how he reacts now that he will see himself as the newcomer to the tank

The Male is used to being the 'king' in his tank and so acted as expected IMO,

I would take the Male out of the tank and leave it in a bucket whilst the layout of the tank is rearranged, do a small water change and then add the Male back to the tank and see how he reacts now that he will see himself as the newcomer to the tank

I'll give it a try, I was going to do a water change tonight, I have a smaller tank to put him in. Thanks, will let you know the out come. :good:

Dear Davo86,

Sorry I've not come back to you sooner, I'm afraid to tell you that she died on me that night, her feelers were back to normal, but she had a pinched look about her. The male was so gentle with her but to no avail. She was moving up to the top of the tank when she suddenly shuddered and dropped dead to the bottom. I think perhaps the stress etc was just too much for her. I think I'll just leave him on his own with the two lady midnight Gouramis. They are far too Big for him, but he does try and woo them. Maybe a valuable lesson to be learnt there.

Thanks again for your assistance. :sad:

Most reactions

Back