Hatching Bs (which Water)

mikev

Fish Herder
Joined
Aug 13, 2005
Messages
1,111
Reaction score
0
Points
36
Location
NY NY
Does anyone know if the hatch rate of artemia in freshwater with salt added equivalent to that in seawater?
If yes, what is the optimal amt of aquarium salt?

(I've been using seawater daily for a few months and if I can switch to regular aquarium salt w/o decreasing the yield, I would.)

TIA
 
Aquarium salt is expensive. Go to a livestock supply outlet, 50 pounds of livestock salt is a few dollars. I've got a good 15 pounds left out of 50, daily hatchery use. I use two tablespoons daily to about 1 1/2 liters of water.

50 pounds lasts a long time at two tablespoons daily.
 
Salt mixes and salt water (from the ocean) don't affect the hatch rate of brineshrimp eggs, certainly not noticeably. Thew quality and age of the eggs has a bigger effect, as does low oxygen levels and poor water movement around the eggs.
Eggs that have been kept cool will usually have a higher hatching rate, and freshly collected eggs will have a higher percentage hatch. Lots of aeration and water movement will improve yields and rinsing the eggs off the sides of the hatching container will also help.
 
I hatch brine shrimp to feed my fry. All you need to do is get an airpump, airline, length of rigid airline tubing, 2 liter plastuc bottle cut in half, salt, water, and eggs.

You take the bottle and invert the top into the bottom. Fill with 3/4 a liter of water and add 2 tablespoons salt. Insert the rigid tubing into the end of the regular tubing and attach to the airpump. Add your eggs to the water, and place the rigid tubing into the water making sure it reaches the bottom. Wait 24 to 36 hours depending on temperature.
 
Thanks, drobbyb,
that's the simplest and cheapest description I've yet encountered.
and I do hope it's idiot-proof as I plan to try it fairly soon, lol.
 
I'm sure once you have all the pieces you can figure it out :) Just make sure the rigid tubing is in the pile of salt in the bottom. The bubbles will dissolve that salt in short order.
 
Thanks all,

Hatchery device is not a problem (albeit I do this differently), I simply wanted to make sure I can switch to normal salt without making anyone here hungry.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top