Hard Corals

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

If your running a Nano and its well established and you are waterchanging weekly then I dont think you'll need to add calc.
I didn't dose anything with mine.
Personally I wouldn't be placing a Euphyllia into a newly setup system.
Regards
BigC

Have you measured your calcium level? You should only dose if you are running low. While hard corals require generally more calcium (a sweeping statement that for the most part is correct) Euphyllia Spp are not as calcium thirsty as people like to make out. I think if you give us more of an idea about your set up and the duration it has been running it will be easier to give you a definite answer. As Big C says Euphyllia should not be placed in newly established tanks as the water chemistry is unstable and if you are new to this type of 'water keeping' then you also lack experience. Saying that you only gain experience by giving it a go. So write back a speedy reply and we can see about purchasing a beautiful coral tomorrow.

Kindest regards

You probably wont need to add any at all if you have a small coral with high calcium requirements. Only need to start adding when you have a lot of corals with similar needs. Test the water.

Hard corals ant to be going into a mature system really anyway

How long has the tank been running? i would say one hard coral would be fine without a calcium addative. Just keep the testes and water changes up. But so long as the water quality, lighting and flow are right then i dont see why not

How big is your aquarium and what power are those T8s. You have to remember that Euphyllia and most of the other stony corals require a fair bit of light. Some nice LPS corals to possibly try is Euphyllia Divisa (frogspawn) Euphyllia Ancora (Hammer coral) Euphyllia Glabrescens (torch coral possibly the hardest of the Euphyllia species to maintain), Fungia Spp (plate coral), Trachyphyllia Spp (open brain coral), Caulastrea Spp (trumpet coral), Catalaphyllia Spp (Elegance coral), Tubastrea Spp ( Sun coral non photosynthetic requires target feeding), Nemenzophyllia Spp (Fox coral never seen it in any LFS but the pictures I have seen it looks really nice) and Duncanopsommia Spp ( Duncan's coral expensive coral from deep waters really beautiful). That is a handful of some of pretty easy to maintain LPS corals with the exception of course the sun coral with requires quite high maintainance.
Remember when stocking choose the corals that YOU like as YOUR reef is a reflection of YOUR taste/vision. Just look at Big C's reef that is a really nice set up which was inspired by all the episodes of 'Wish you were here' he watched :lol: !!!

Hope this helps

Regards

thanks - my lights are (20 W) but there is 4 of them

and the aquarium is 200l and i have 400l

What are the dimension? The dimensions, as opposed to volume, are the parameters that dictate lighting. Even without the dimensions I can tell you that you do not have enough light to keep LPS corals. 55W tubes with individual reflectors and you might be ok but 20W tube are not going to cut it. Before getting any LPS coral upgrade the lighting. Can you please still tell us the dimensions though because they are really important for future advice.

Hope this helps

Regards

Most reactions

Back