Hand held Laser Temperature gun-The ultimate thermometer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Emeraldtarpon

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Im currently using a hand held laser temp gun for a themometer and this thing is better than good...its the best!
It's highly accurate at measuring temps - down to a point of a degree (EG) 24, 24.1, 24.2, 24.3 and so on.
Just hold it up to the aquarium glass, pull the trigger (like a gun) and your readout appears within 1 second, on the illuminated display.
Its that sensitive, you can take readings of different areas of the tank and find out exactally where the cool spots are (even if they are only 0.1-0.2-0.3 etc of a degree cooler,it will read this no problems at all).
Highly accurate, simple to use and a brilliant way to see how accurate your current heater really is.
I cant recommend this thing highly enough, it is absolutely outstanding when used as an aquarium thermometer 👍

I love mine. It was very inexpensive as well.
I do notice slight differences in readings taken pointing at the outside of an aquarium, versus directly into the water from above. Small difference, rather insignificant.
For me, the big value and this is how I use it, is to determine whether two bodies of water (say water currently in the tank, versus the water I am about to add during a water change, or comparing two tanks). In such instances, I am less interested in what the actual temperature is, and more interested in whether they are similar or different. But they are pretty good for both.
I agree with you. Wonderful product!

Growing up, my dad had a few of these for his snakes. When my twin sister and I were 10 years old at most, we stole one and it became our favorite toy. A laser gun, a pointer for play teacher, a tagger, you name it 😆

The accuracy of these fermometers depend of the emmissivity of IR light from the object you point to plus the effects of anything between it and your (Water and glass). Soil you point it at a rock your reading might actually be from the glass, water, or the rock. All of which should be at the same temerature anyway in an aquarium. At work we tried them on manufacturing equipment but ended staying with thermocouples. if you pointed it at 2 different places we often saw 2 different readings while a thermocouple shoed the same temperature. You might have a better one than what we had or our equipment was problomative for the sensor. I don't know. Just keep that in mind when using these.

I bought one this year as well... It's kind of practical. For it is more accurate then the standard thermometers.

This is mine...
IMG_3644.JPG
Works perfectly...

Hi emeraldking,
yours is more of a modern design than mine.
IMG_5947.JPG
My dad gave this to me with a pile of other tools he wasnt using anymore.
It was a little bit dirty when i got it but after a good clean up, it came up aok.
I think they're brilliant for aquarium use.

would they be accurate if testing water temp from 6 feet away?

would they be accurate if testing water temp from 6 feet away?
LOL...I just tested it and i got the following:-
FIRST TEST - Tank glass 24.7...6 feet away 24.3c
SECOND TEST - Tank glass 24.7c...6 feet away 24.7c
THIRD TEST - Tank glass 24.7c...6 feet away 24.7c
So, still very accurate when used from 6 feet away...i wouldnt of thought that possible, these things are insane.

Most reactions

Back