Hair algae

Alien_spawn

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been fighting off Hairy algae for so long, I thought I had beaten it, I had a look today and its growing back on the plants, it seems to be killing them, I've removed it so many times from the tank, it all started when i got "live plants", I've tried using CR clear water in the filter (supposed to remove phosphate) although I cannot seem to get a test kit for this :no:

I was told that I live in a area that has high phosphate from the tap?

any advice please would help, i'm looking for a cheap solution if poss....

get some snails they love the alge and will not mess with you plants contrary to many peoples belife they mutlply quick but its no big deal you see to many in there just take them out and do some thing with them my lfs buys them off of me for store credit :D

I used to keep my apple snail in the big tank he didn't really help remove the hair algae, but you think the little ones might?

Read Red algae help, it'll shed some light on the situation. There most likely won't be a easy solution for your red algae problem. You may have to go with RO water to beat it back.

Rose

Yeah, plastic plans look more real and last longer. :D

>>> it'll shed some light on the situation

I can't believe you said that in the plants forum!!!!

Even I have a sence of humor every so often LL :hyper:. Glad you enjoyed it.

Rose

Alien, is red algae (aka black beard algae) the kind you have in your tank, or do you have hair algae? They're two different things. With regards to hair algae, some rosey barbs, or florida flag fish eat them. If you can't find them, Amano shrimps should take care of it instead (they are miracle workers IMO). If you have BBA, I believe some SAE eat them. Also, I don't know of any snails that eat hair or BB algae, but I could be wrong.

whats the difference between the two?

My algae is like short green hair and grows just about anywhere rocks filter pipes, plants etc. but it always seems to take to the plants first

You could get a few mystery snails.... These things get up to 2" long and do some serious algae removal. :smb:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back