guppy question

Linnyuk

Reaction score
CAN A GUPPYS PREGNANCY OVERLAP ???

cos............. i have a guppy which had 12 fry at the same time as another guppy started to look pregnant(getting fatter and a growing gravid spot).
I released the guppy which had the fry back into the tank, after about 5 days the one that had fry looks more pregnant than the other.

anyone explain ??
cheers.........:thumbs:

ps. is there a way of adding your tank details to each post or do i have to copy/paste it in each time? :dunno:

TANK DIMENTIONS : 91cm L x 30cm W x 38cm H/36" L x 12" W x 15" H
VOLUME : 106 l./23 gal.
TEMPERATURE :81*f

MY FISH N' STUFF:

3 siameese fighters (m+2f) / 2gouramis (m+f)
2 red crabs / 2 frogs / 4 ghost shrimp
2 sailfin plecs + 1 unknown plec / 1 red fin black shark
3 guppies (m+2f) / 2 sucking loach /2 koolie loach
3 glass fish / 2 silver halfbeaks/1 dwarf chiclid
2 black widow tetras / 3 neon tetras / 3 glo tetras

by overlap do you mean one female will have babies and then another could have babies soon after?
To have a permanent signature click on your name(its underlined at the top of your page) and you'll come to a new page. Click on the sub title"signature" and it will take you to another window which allow you to type what you want, change colours, fonts etc for your signature :)

You have 1 male and 2 female guppies, which is a good ratio. Both the female guppies getting gravid just shows the male has been a very busy fish :D

ps. is there a way of adding your tank details to each post or do i have to copy/paste it in each time?
You can put it in your sig, but the bad thing is, when a person replies, they will not see the sig.

When you reply and scroll down to see the message, you only see the message and not the sig. If you're still confused, click on Reply and then scroll down. You wil not see your sig until the message is posted or cancelled.

MY FISH N' STUFF:

3 siameese fighters (m+2f) / 2gouramis (m+f)
2 red crabs / 2 frogs / 4 ghost shrimp
2 sailfin plecs + 1 unknown plec / 1 red fin black shark
3 guppies (m+2f) / 2 sucking loach /2 koolie loach
3 glass fish / 2 silver halfbeaks/1 dwarf chiclid
2 black widow tetras / 3 neon tetras / 3 glo tetras

I would like to add you are overstocked...

3 Bettas = 12" at 4"each
2 Gouramis (assuming dwarfs) = 4" at 2" each
2 sailfin pl*cos = 44" at 22" each
1 unknown pl*co (assuming common) = 14"
1 red fin black shark = 5"

That is already about 79" of fish and I didn't list all your fish. I'm sorry if I or anyone else has repeated this to. I am a member on alot of aquarium forums so I can't remember what I posted where.

The general stocking guide is 1" of fish for every 1 gallon of water. There are different modifications to the guide. For simplicity sake, we can modify this to apply to fish under 3". Larger fish can still be generally stocked at about 1" of fish for every (at the most) 5 gallons of water to accommodate some of the above. Please keep in mind that this is a general stocking guide and NOT an exact science. It still does not take account other factors, such as:
- How much swimming room the fish will require (6 neon tetras will probably not be happy in a 10 gallon tank)
- Swimming level (top, mid, or bottom dwellers)
- The amount of waste a fish will produce
- Group amount (ex. Clown loaches would prefer to be in group of at least 3)
- Aggression levels
- Compatibility (ex. Clown loaches would not be happy with fast, darting fish)
- Tank Length/Height requirements (Angelfish require taller tanks, which neon tetras prefer longer tanks)

An improperly overstocked tank will lead to:
- Elevated ammonia
- Elevated nitrate
- Low oxygen levels
- Harassment from other fish
- Lack of hiding places
- Lack of enough fish to provide schooling

Which are all the same results of what create fish stress. (Ref. Stress and Fish Health)

(Again this is ONLY a general stocking guide. I am currently creating an article regarding the stocking guide.)

FYI, black widow tetras are given that as a nick name becuase they are a bit aggressive and will often kill/attach weaker fish. I would remove the tetras with the guppies there.

If you don't have trouble now, you will in the future.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP/COMMENTS !! :)

snowyangel said:
by overlap do you mean one female will have babies and then another could have babies soon after?
To have a permanent signature click on your name(its underlined at the top of your page) and you'll come to a new page. Click on the sub title"signature" and it will take you to another window which allow you to type what you want, change colours, fonts etc for your signature :)
WHAT I MEAN IS CAN A GUPPY BE IN TWO STAGES OF PREGNANCY AT THE SAME TIME ie. if a guppy was pregnant for 4 weeks,could she give birth and then again 2 weeks later?

From what I understand, females can become pregnant a few times, after being with a male just once. She has the ability to store the male's "sperm" in such a way that she can become pregnant. As far as how soon or how often, I'm not sure.

Most reactions

Back