Guppy Preggo info

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Regalz

Reaction score
Hi all again!
So it has been confirmed that my guppy is pregnaunt and expecting in the coming days/weeks. I watched some things on them and she has all the signs of labour except she isnt still in the tank or isolating. She is breathing rapidly, on the surface, she has the boxy shape, she has a darkened gravid spot. Is this labor or just fish being fish?

The boxy shape means soon but when my fish went into labour she went down low in the tank to hid amongst plants or wood. She will look for somewhere to have the fry that is covered or protected.

The boxy shape means soon but when my fish went into labour she went down low in the tank to hid amongst plants or wood. She will look for somewhere to have the fry that is covered or protected.
Thats like the only thing she didnt have though. And im concerned because i am away for a few days and they are left with someone who feeds but doesnt have the knowledge

Thats like the only thing she didnt have though. And im concerned because i am away for a few days and they are left with someone who feeds but doesnt have the knowledge
Do you have any decorations or plants in the tank? Mine actually dropped fry under the filter! They find a place or hold on if they don't feel the environment suits

Thing is, there really isn't anything you can do to hasten or slow it down to prevent her having them while you're away. The best you can do is to stuff the tank with plants, real or fake, and hope for the best. Keep checking the tank for fry before you leave so you can scoop them into the breeder box if she drops them before you go, but otherwise, you're still going to have to leave her to it and hope for the best.

Caution the person not to over feed the tank while you're away, since there will likely be plenty of biofilm and algae for the fish to eat, and fry will live on the yolk sac for the first 24 hours anyway, but over feeding can easily lead to an ammonia spike.

If there are a lot of hiding spots for the fry, as @AilyNC said, chances are that some will make it. I let my livebearers give birth in the main community tanks too and rear most of the fry that way too. Any fry that get picked off by adults when there are plenty of hiding spaces available tend to be weak or deformed ones who wouldn't have made it anyway, so it acts like natural selection in some ways.

Thing is, there really isn't anything you can do to hasten or slow it down to prevent her having them while you're away. The best you can do is to stuff the tank with plants, real or fake, and hope for the best. Keep checking the tank for fry before you leave so you can scoop them into the breeder box if she drops them before you go, but otherwise, you're still going to have to leave her to it and hope for the best.

Caution the person not to over feed the tank while you're away, since there will likely be plenty of biofilm and algae for the fish to eat, and fry will live on the yolk sac for the first 24 hours anyway, but over feeding can easily lead to an ammonia spike.

If there are a lot of hiding spots for the fry, as @AilyNC said, chances are that some will make it. I let my livebearers give birth in the main community tanks too and rear most of the fry that way too. Any fry that get picked off by adults when there are plenty of hiding spaces available tend to be weak or deformed ones who wouldn't have made it anyway, so it acts like natural selection in some ways.
Thanks, i stuffed it full of some fake plants i had, they arn't the silk ones but i have had a few in tanks before and never had a problem, even with betta. Theyre is two girls in the tank. The person feeds daily but not very much so it works ok. Apparently they havnt spotted any babys yet so hopefully we do ok!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back