guppy help please!

A turkey baster looks like a BIG eye dropper. It is used to suck up the juice from the bottom of the pan of a cooking turkey and squirt the juices on the turkey.

You can normally find this in the kitchen section of a store, where they have stirring whips, frosting spoonds, etc.

i used a fish net for the 25 i cought.. but i have also found that holding ur finger on the top of a staw and sticking hand in water and releasing it on top of a fry also sucks them up pretty well also *but i only used this method on the dead ones unfortunetly*...

well since ther is 4 fry left in the net.. do you think i should just let them off into the tank?.. they are still pretty damn small.. (2 weeks old)... they are not surviving in the net.. do you think i should give them a chance in the "real world"...

my opnion is NO.. but lets see what the experts say..

:dunno:

Yes, the straw method will work also. I actualy used an airline tube since it was long enough. I found the turkey baster just has a stronger suction.

I would not release the fry into the tank either. If the guppies are weak, they might not have enough strength to swim for the food. At least in the breeder net, they have a better chance.

crazie.eddie said:
Yes, the straw method will work also. I actualy used an airline tube since it was long enough. I found the turkey baster just has a stronger suction.

I would not release the fry into the tank either. If the guppies are weak, they might not have enough strength to swim for the food. At least in the breeder net, they have a better chance.
cool thanks for the tip...

my PH is alkaline.... could this be the problem?

i have tryd everything to lower my PH... 20% water changes.. PH down droplets... its been driving me crazy!

i need all the tips and info ican get.. thanks

STOP using the pH adjusting chemicals. Sudden changes in pH will effect, even kill them. It kills fry for sure. Just leave your pH alone. I have heard some people who have pH at 8.0 have had healthy fish.

It is always better to have your fish adjust to your water parameters, than you having to adjust your water for them. I'm not a chemist, but if I remember someone explaining to me, that tap water contains buffering chemicals that keep the water at a certain pH. Or if does change, it will only be a few minutes before it changes back. I believe if you soften the water, you would be able to lower your pH and keep it low. Anyways, don't adjust it. Leave it be.

crazie.eddie said:
STOP using the pH adjusting chemicals. Sudden changes in pH will effect, even kill them. It kills fry for sure. Just leave your pH alone. I have heard some people who have pH at 8.0 have had healthy fish.

It is always better to have your fish adjust to your water parameters, than you having to adjust your water for them. I'm not a chemist, but if I remember someone explaining to me, that tap water contains buffering chemicals that keep the water at a certain pH. Or if does change, it will only be a few minutes before it changes back. I believe if you soften the water, you would be able to lower your pH and keep it low. Anyways, don't adjust it. Leave it be.
eddie... if you can PM on aim: integragsrx94x .. i tryd Iming you but you never responded...

another fry just died =[

crazie.eddie said:

so dont soften the water either?

I just added your ID, but I guess you were not online

Correct, do not soften the water. DO NOT make any changes that will alter the chemistry of your water.

You can add aquarium salt, which usually helps livebearers.

One thing I forgot to ask, what is the temp of your water?

well before the air stones, my temp was 80 flat... but iguess i was wrong and was not getting enough circulation so only part of the tank was 80 degrees... last night when i was pulling a dead fry out of the net... the water seemd a bit cold so i looked at my temp and it was at 77!... so i bumped it up to 81... so right now it is ranging from 80-82... last night all i lost was 1 fry before i went to sleep.. i ususaly lose 1-2 when i wake up in the morning.. but their was still 3 in there!.. i was so exited... also when icrush the flakes.. i try to do it as fine as possible but when it gets to fine.. it all sticks to my finger!.. and only the bigger chunks fall in.. i guess my fingers are to moiste.. *any tips?* ...

also thanks for adding me to your buddylist.. you have me down for AOL/AIM and not ICQ correct?... i see you online right now but your away.. thanks for all your help.. also with the aqarium salt.. wheres the cheapest place to buy it.. i hear its a ripoff when you buy it form like petco.. people say you can buy it from your local market.. how much salt should i put in the tank? how often do i put salt in the tank?..

also is their anyyyyyway i can cut down the noise of the airstones?.. it is extreamly loud... also what are some good ways of hiding the wires?... do i need to keep the airstones in once the fry are large enough to get into the big tank?...

You don't need the airstones. The filter you have should produce enough agitation to the water surface to ensure a good O2 exchange. The airstones are for looks, mostly - although they are helpful to have during times in which you are medicating the tank - medications can reduce the amount of available O2 in the water.

Good luck.

nice, i will take it out as soon as the fry get a bit bigger... it seams to be helping a lot with the circulation in the tank... so yeah .. ill use it for "circulation purpose" when i am doing water changes and i add my water conditioner etc/salt/etc ...

anymore feedback about the airstones?..

also i am not running a bio wheel... people tell me its not to nesesary for a 20 gal.. im just running a regular aquaclear 200 system.. do you guys recommend me going and exchanging it for a pengwin biowheel?..

Most reactions

Back