Guppy Floating At The Top Of The Tank?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Proud Pastry

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello :)

This morning I noticed one of my guppies floating at the top of the tank. He still moves around a tiny bit... but not much.
He was fine yesterday, eating and swimming around. But now he's floating and not eating at all.
I didn't notice anything wrong with his body, he's not bloated and his fins are not clamped.

Tank and water info:
10 Gallon
1 air stone
Tetra Whisper in-tank filter

4 Male Guppies
4 Female Platies
2 Platy fry in breeding net

Nitrate: 5.0
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
pH: 6.8

Do you think he might have swim bladder? :( Or could there be another problem?

I'd appreciate any help and advice anyone has to offer!
Thanks for reading!

It's possible that he might have swallowed an air bubble or something.. I'd watch him for a couple of days. Try feeding him a pea :)

It's possible that he might have swallowed an air bubble or something.. I'd watch him for a couple of days. Try feeding him a pea :)

So you don't think it could be swim bladder? :eek: I've seen videos of swim bladder and he's not acting the same way as those fish.
I'm not sure if he'll eat the pea :( He hasn't eaten anything today.. should I try holding the pea pieces in front of him and see if eats it?

Is he having trouble swimming around, or is he just staying at one place on the top of the tank, not making any effort to move?

You can try :) Get a frozen pea (just 1), put it in a microwavable bowl with a tinyyyy bit of water, heat for a minute, peel the skin off and smush the pea with your fingers & feed. Make sure it's not TOO hot before feeding though. (the other fish can eat it too, it's good for their digestive system :good: I feed it once a week to make sure all the poop comes out)

Is he having trouble swimming around, or is he just staying at one place on the top of the tank, not making any effort to move?

You can try :) Get a frozen pea (just 1), put it in a microwavable bowl with a tinyyyy bit of water, heat for a minute, peel the skin off and smush the pea with your fingers & feed. Make sure it's not TOO hot before feeding though. (the other fish can eat it too, it's good for their digestive system :good: I feed it once a week to make sure all the poop comes out)

No he's not having trouble swimming, he's just staying in one place and not making any effort to move around :eek:
Although he just started swimming around a little bit! Still at the surface of the water, but movement is progress! :'D

Alrighty :) I'll try giving them some peas, I just noticed one of my platies has some bad poop so they'll need it anyway XD
Thanks! ^_^

Sometimes giving them different food can give them an appitite like when one of my female guppies got swim bladder and it started to eat when i gave it peas. i get boiling hot water from the sink and put the peas in a bowl with it in there to soften the peas

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back