Guppies vs 10 gallon, vs 6.5 gallon

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

pettygil

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
If my guppies live, which I have 3 guppies, can I put 3 guppies in a 6.5 gallon tank,, setup? or do a ten gallon and if so, how many guppies ,for 10 gallon?

I found this info online. it says:
As we calculated, a 10-gallon tank is room enough for keeping 5-6 guppies. If we want to follow the golden ratio of 1 male to every 2-3 females, then a 10-gallon would give us enough space for 4 females and a maximum of 2 males.

Males are often considered especially desirable because of their brighter colors and fancier fins than the females, so it’d be understandable to want to keep more than one. So for a mixed group of guppies in a 10-gallon tank, 2 males and 4 females would make a fine choice. ,

How many male guppies can be put in a 10 gallon?
I found this info online. it says:
As we calculated, a 10-gallon tank is room enough for keeping 5-6 guppies. If we want to follow the golden ratio of 1 male to every 2-3 females, then a 10-gallon would give us enough space for 4 females and a maximum of 2 males.

Males are often considered especially desirable because of their brighter colors and fancier fins than the females, so it’d be understandable to want to keep more than one. So for a mixed group of guppies in a 10-gallon tank, 2 males and 4 females would make a fine choice. ,
I would just stick with your 3 current guppies.
are they all male?
if they are not all male, it is likely that there will be babies, that will fill up the tank.
edit: I used to have 3 guppies in my 15 gallon, and they were very happy there. too many guppies in the tank may not be for the better

I would just stick with your 3 current guppies.
are they all male?
if they are not all male, it is likely that there will be babies, that will fill up the tank.
edit: I used to have 3 guppies in my 15 gallon, and they were very happy there. too many guppies in the tank may not be for the better
All my three guppies are all male.

Here is a video of my guppies tail. The plant that is in the tank, is a silk plant.

If you'll stick to just male guppies, more than three would be okay in your 10g tank. But also grant them sufficient swimming space.
This is a video of mutt tanks of mine. All types of guppies that don't meet up the characteristics of their own strain sufficiently, will be put in one of those mutt tanks. They're allowed to crossbreed in there. But they're not meant to keep. They will be sold to stores and people who are willing to have them. I also donate fish to schools who have an aquarium.
So, this might look like it's overstocked (well, it is actually overstocked) but I am able to get rid of those fish very easily. But the bioload is just fine in there. But if you're keeping a tank with guppies that have to stay in there for a long time, it's better to keep the number of fish down.

Last edited:
I’ve kept 6 boy guppies in a ten before eventually moving them to a peaceful 55 gal. community tank.

I have a 20 gallon tank with tetras and guppies. One of the guppies tails, is ripped in half. I have a video of it. I'm treating with melifix and primefix. It says to remove the carbon, I have a carbon filter, do I shut down the filter for about a week? Here is the video, of guppies tail.

I just turned off my 20 gallon filter, because I am treating with meds. Is it ok to leave filter off for a week. I have 3 guppies, 9 glo tetra's, and 2 live bearer's

Last edited:
I just turned off my 20 gallon filter, because I am treating with meds. Is it ok to leave filter off for a week. I have 3 guppies, 9 glo tetra's, and 2 live bearer's
I would take the cartridge from it out and keep the filiter running so there is circulation

I took the black cartridge out, along with White looking sponge, that has the carbon in it. I have A whisper filter, that came with the above. I leave my filter running, thank you, for your help.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back