Guppies + Platys = ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Fate2006

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey... this may be the stupidest question ever put on this site... infact I'm sure it probably is :lol: anyways, I used to keep about 2 years ago and I found that anytime one of my males wanted to mate it would kill the female instead because she refused... my question is this; I've just bought 1 male guppy, 2 female platys, and 1 male platy for my 10gallon tank, and I was wondering if theres any chance of the guppy breeding with the platy?? if not, then how should I condition the females for the male?

Hi, male guppies are randy little devils and will try an mate with anything they can. A guppy and Platy couldn't have fry but the pressure of the chase could damage the female PLaty, I have recently had to add more female Platys and more female Guppies to curb this exact problem. Plus gonna move them all from a 27gal to a 40gal aswell. Hope this helps.

Sorry the ratio I would go for is 1m-3f

Ya I got the guppy about a week ago with 3 female guppies aswell... but he's slowly killed them off 1 by 1... I've added the platys in there because it looked baren... :lol: I'm trying to greed guppies and platies for the fry to become food, Yeah I know it's sick, but cheaper than buying like 40 feeders a week

It's not that sick, infact lots of people do it and I am probably going to do it, if I can bring myself to put them in, I probably wont be ablr to though. It is probably better to put fry in than fully grown fish like some people do. If I was you I would return that male and get another one as he seems like a little demon.

I have a few platies, males and females, and 2 female guppies from a friends tank that he was pulling apart. If anything its the female guppy that desperately wants a piece of the big ole male platy...

Ya I was going to return my male guppy but he's the best looking one :lol: mabye I'll just upgrade to a 20gallon tank and hopfully his agression should be ok... if not he's the first feeder guppy :p

I dont think its sick to use fry as feeders, I have platys, and guppies, There fry gets fed to my african clawed frogs.If I didnt control the fry population , Id have to open up my own pet store! :blink:

I dont think its sick to use fry as feeders, I have platys, and guppies, There fry gets fed to my african clawed frogs.If I didnt control the fry population , Id have to open up my own pet store! :blink:

haha the TFF fish store. or TFF Aquaculture. there's an RMS Aquaculture by me. it could be a naition wide branch ran by people on the site to get rid of their fry, excess plants, old tanks ect :lol: .

ok... :lol: So is there a chance of a hybrid species here or no??? everybody seems to have gone off topic...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back