guppies nipping on cory catfish!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

finfayce

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi- one of my cory cat fish has scales missing from the front top of his head and part of his tail missing. i thought he had hurt himself. also the top of the internal filter wouldn’t stay on. i put waterproof first aid tape on it to prevent exposed sharp edge. i ‘ll look for a replacement top. or did the tape hurt him?

this is a video of guppies attacking cory catfish. and a pic of the catfish. i put him in a gallon bowl to recover.
i have a pre-set aquarium heater. it’s 50 watt and set for 75 degrees. will it get too hot in such a small container?

Attachments

• B8A412D1-C794-4948-8842-BD1334ECE701.jpeg
    B8A412D1-C794-4948-8842-BD1334ECE701.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 81
  • 7779397B-C15E-42D7-97D6-3FF44BEE2995.jpeg
    7779397B-C15E-42D7-97D6-3FF44BEE2995.jpeg
    189.4 KB · Views: 91
better pic of my attacked cory catfish. notice bald spot.

Attachments

• 949A8AEC-763E-4055-8686-1AE6DF601F5B.jpeg
    949A8AEC-763E-4055-8686-1AE6DF601F5B.jpeg
    351.9 KB · Views: 56
This is not caused by an attack.
Corys don't have scales either.
Guppies might eat from the damaged tissue.

I suspect it to be bacterial (on the back looks to be a whitish spot as well)

I suspect it to be bacterial (on the back looks to be a whitish spot as well)
you know i had put human waterproof first aid tape on top of the filter to keep the cap on. it fell off. could he have been damaged by the or its ingredients?
that’s the filter without its top. i haven’t checked yet for Fluval parts. the edges aren’t really sharp
CDC1ABC6-5174-4399-B1B8-272D5E6BE312.jpeg

I doubt it. I personally suspect the fish damaged its head between the pebbles looking for food and the scratches let bacteria enter under the skin.

The guppies aren't attacking the cory, they have seen an open wound and are being opportunists, give them some nice flake food on the top of the tank to chew on.

I doubt it. I personally suspect the fish damaged its head between the pebbles looking for food and the scratches let bacteria enter under the skin.
thanks for your help. he’s in a separate gallon bowl and is eating and swimming around. hope he recovers. thanks again. 🙂

The guppies aren't attacking the cory, they have seen an open wound and are being opportunists, give them some nice flake food on the top of the tank to chew on.
that’s what another forum member said too. i put the catfish in a separate gallon bowl. he’s eating and swimming around.
i hope he will recover. probably need to buy more tiny sand which doesn’t irritate their skin as much. the python system sucks some up and it goes down the drain. :(
thank you. :)

Your guppies have gill flukes and possibly intestinal worms.

Salt can be used for gill flukes.
Flubendazole or Praizquantel and Levamisole should treat intestinal worms.

See section 3 of the following link for deworming fish.

---------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.

Your guppies have gill flukes and possibly intestinal worms.

Salt can be used for gill flukes.
Flubendazole or Praizquantel and Levamisole should treat intestinal worms.

See section 3 of the following link for deworming fish.

---------------------
SALT
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt) or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoons of salt per 20 litres.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, Bettas & gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, fish, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

When you first add salt, add the salt to a small bucket of tank water and dissolve the salt. Then slowly pour the salt water into the tank near the filter outlet. Add the salt over a couple of minutes.
Colin
why do think my guppies have gill flukes.
plus i have not had success putting medication safely in tanks. 😬

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back