Guppies -- How To Care For Them?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

JonesLemurC

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I got 3 guppies in a 3.5 gallon tank. What is the proper way to care for them? I know about partial water changes and how to test chemical levels.

I would start by getting a larger tank, at least 10 gallons if you can. 3.5 is ok for a betta, but guppies are quite active.

If you're set with water changes and testing, you're off to a good start. Is the tank cycled, though? You'll need to do a fish-in cycle if it's not, which isn't the end of the world, but you do need to be careful with it.

If the guppies are mixed genders, have a plan for how to deal with fry.

We did cycle the tank before-hand, it should be good in that sense. But a bit of concern now. One of the fish seems to have gotten a rather large upward curve in its back now and is floating around the tank, spiraling. It's still alive and can use all fins except the large back one. Any idea how it would've gotten that curve. I've been checking them since we got them to see if anything develops. None have gotten caught in anything, as a matter of fact I don't think there is anything to get caught in.

Sorry to hear that, it could've been caused by a few things. Could be fish TB (rarely), nutritional deficiency, and many other things. I'd put my money on genetic problems due to inbreeding, given that guppies from most suppliers can pretty much breed freely.

Nothing to really do for it except for euthanize or wait. :(

What ppm of ammonia did you cycle with?

What are the current readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate? What are the pH and hardness of your water?

add distilled water to your tank with a 50% water change and everything will be fixed

BettaBettas said:
add distilled water to your tank with a 50% water change and everything will be fixed
I'm sorry, but you can't possibly know that. We don't, currently, have enough information from the OP to know what might be the cause of this.

Distilled water is not good for fish tanks.

I use it all the time, I have natural hard water so I have 2, and most of my friends use it. yes its fish safe, distilled water is DISTILLED theres Nothing in it

BettaBettas said:
I use it all the time, I have natural hard water so I have 2, and most of my friends use it. yes its fish safe, distilled water is DISTILLED theres Nothing in it
Fish and plants need the trace minerals from water to be healthy. If you're going to use distilled water, it needs to have those trace minerals added back in, either by mixing with tap water, or by adding a remineralisation mix.

It cannot be used on it's own.

In this case, we have no idea of the OPs water stats. Anything that could change them too quickly, like adding large amounts of water with different parameters, risks shocking the fish, which could kill them.

We need to wait for clarification, from the OP, before we can help him and his fish with a suitable course of action.

sorry flutter moth if the last comment you quoted sounded mean im on edge today, sorry :(

Most reactions

Back