Guppies And Bettas

Its not a recommended thing, no, because of the guppies long finnage, the bettas see them as a rival and usually, not always, attack. I assume we are talking a male betta here?
 
Hi,

There are MANY trains of thought on this question......

A lot of members will tell you no, and a lot will say yes!! I think it depends of a few factors......Firstly what size of tank are you talking about? Secondly are there plenty of hidey holes and plants and finally it depends on the personality of the betta!!

My son has a Betta called Finbar.......Finbar lives in a community tank with both Guppies and Mollies (I know there are members reading this shaking their heads!!) The tank is 88L (19 imp gallons, 23 US gallons) there are plenty of hiding places and heavily planted areas so that Finbar has place to go if he needs a time out. The most important part of this is Finbar is a VERY laid back Betta, if we ever tried to replace Finbar in the tank with another Betta it could well end up in a blood bath. Also our guppies are more interested in eating and reproducing!! (Guppies can be TERRIBLE fin nippers!!)

I'm going to be getting a Betta as soon as I can BUT I will not be putting the new guy in a community tank, he will have his own tank with some corys and a small pleco as I won't risk having a blood bath in my community tank (it's not fair to either the Betta or the other fish) I think we've been very fortunate with Finbar.....might not be as lucky next time.

I would personally not recommend it, but that's just my opinion and I hope this info helps in some way,
Leanne
 
yeah but i can get a younger or older one if that makes a difference...

Age is not a factor in this, some can get away with it, its all dependent on the personality of the betta in question and unfortunately you wont know that until you have one. Some will tolerate many other species, some wont even tolerate a snail with them!

People do have bettas in community tanks, as Leanne's post will testify and there is nothing wrong with it, provided the betta is happy and 1) not being nipped by fin nipping fish and 2) isnt a raving looney betta determined to mangle anything it sees :lol:
 
oooooo..... I wanna come back as one of those raving looney Bettas!!!!

LMAO
Leanne
 
so...

if i could find one that was friendly he'd be ok with male guppies - i did a net search and everyone has different answers.
he'd be with plenty of hiding places - i was thinking some cobomba and other bushy plants - also for and guppy fry to hide in. i have a choc. gourami in another tank . can i put him in there? i would also like to put in some shrimps instead of catfish. tanks about 50 cm cubed. what substrate would be best
 
A couple of things....... you won't know what a betta is like with guppies UNTIL you put them in the same tank!!!! Guppie fry.....you ain't going to see many of them as the Betta WILL eat them (if their parents don't!!) Betta and Gouramis.....I'm thinking this might not be a good mix as Gouramis have that nice dangly bit to be munched on!! I'm not sure on Bettas and Shrimps so I can't really comment. In my honest opinion if you still want guppies put them in the community tank and get a seperate little one tank for the Betta if you still want one.

If you want a good sounding board post in the Betta section.
Leanne
 
Agreed with above.

New avi Leanne, didnt recognise you for a minute :P
 
my sis has a betta in her tank with 2 hi-fin platies and they are fine and we added them in after the betta but he used to live with a couple of wagtail platties so we may be lucky and had a laid back guy i dont know i personally think its on the individual fish ...try and find someone who has had a betta in a tank with guppies and fish like these before
 
I'd agree with the rest, it really depends on the betta and the fish it goes with. I've got one community tank with neons and a betta and they (mostly) get along fine - the very occasional bit of fin nipping but thats only for a few minutes or so every couple of months! I think the neons do something to piss him off!!

I've got another betta that can't go with anything - he's only young but he was nipping at corys three or four times his size! He doesn't like shrimp either, and attacks them (he doesn't eat them, just kills them), and he doesn't particularly like assassin snails either (likes to knock them off the glass) - he's been moved now, to a tank on his own where he's much happier!

My LFS keeps betta with guppies, and the results aren't good - having just bought a batch of guppy, out of 21 nearly all have fin rot and chunks out of their tails and fins (if only i'd checked properly before buying...!), and other than the guppy occasionally nipping each other I'd put the rest down to the betta they were with! needless to say, the guppy are all quite stressed and sick and are being treated as i write (sadly a few have died already, hopefully the rest will be ok!)

Personally I'd also not recommend keeping a betta with anything else - the one in the community tank I was very lucky with, and as nuttyJD says, it'd probably end in a bloodbath if I ever have to replace him! Having said that, I'm glad he's in there - the little community wouldn't be the same without him!

Good luck whatever you decide to do, but if you do put them together, keep a close eye on them all for missing bits of tail etc. and have somewhere you can isolate him if things go really bad!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top