Green Terror Head Butting The Glass

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BadBadger

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey all,

When my GT's are breeding, and i come up to the glass to see how they are, the male charges head first into the glass. Obviously i move away and leave them to it for a couple of days. But, i'm worried if this will lead to any long term injury? Its happened 6 or 7 times now and he seems ok. When there not breeding, he's fine and always comes right up to the glass when you look in. But right now he's not happy at all haha he's giving me the evil eye as we speak
angry.png
  Think i might move the cave away from the computer soon.

Any one else had a head butting cichlid?

Cheers

He's very unlikely to injure himself; most injuries caused by fish swimming into glass are skittish fish in a panic.

My oscar tries to bite my mum's dogs through the glass 
rolleyes.gif
 and any of us, if he's in a bad mood!

Thanks. Good to hear. Is the bump for fighting or attraction purposes?

Haha great characters. It scares the living day light out of me. Just pop my head down to see how there doing and BLAM! Face full of Green Terror

Cheers

I havn't had them before but if it's only when breeding it must be that he's trying to scare you away from his territory.

My one oscar buts the glass every single night as soon as I turn the lights out, I like to think he is giving me a goodnight kiss lol lol

Depending on the individual fish, Green Terrors, expecially males, are very terrtorial. My male would not let me near the tank. He would charge me, and actually chase me if I moved from side to side in from of the tank. He would bite me when I would clean the tank. They are just aggressive fish. I do not think that he is going to hurt himself charging at you and hitting the glass. He may temporarily see plankton swimming circles around his head, but he wont suffer long term.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back