Green string algae

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Pd7333

Reaction score
Hi guys

Apologies in advance as with most forums the following question has no doubt been asked and answered many times, though being non forum and pc literate, I hope you do not mind.

I've had my 60l tank up and running for about a month. I started with one small black catfish. A week later I added 6 neons and a few shrimps. Last weekend I added 4 or 5 red eyed tetras and some bottom feeding striped fish (sorry don't know the name).

All was fine for a week or so then literally overnight my stones went green with algae and I noticed the stringy algae on the artificial plants. It's getting worse and was hoping someone maybe able to tell me the cause and remedy.

I've read certain plants will help as well as certain fish. I don't want to upset the fish by draining/cleaning completely (not sure if this will or will not effect the fish).

Total newbie. Aquarium purchased for the kids. Photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20201021_174724.jpg
    IMG_20201021_174724.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 75
Hello and welcome.
Yes, it's annoying that aquariums do this. I have experienced every type of algae there is and still haven't won the war. These measures have helped though:-
  • ensure the tank does not get a lot of sunlight by locating away from windows/ skylights
  • remove as much algae as possible during weekly maintenance. This is a real chore but the more you leave in, the more it will multiply. As the weeks go by you will notice a reduction in algae.
  • restrict tank lighting to six hours a day and reduce the intensity of the light if it is dimmable.
  • reduce feeding, excess nutrients feed the algae
  • keep the tank and filter clean to reduce excess nitrates. Rinse the filter sponges/ media in used tank water to remove the sludge
  • have live plants, especially floating plants, to use the nutrients and shade the tank.
I also think changing your substrate will help. The white gravel shows the algae and some say white can stress fish. Your 'stripy bottom feeders' look like panda corydoras which would be healthier on playsand (i.e. Argos playsand £5/ 15KG) as they are filter feeders and need a really clean substrate to avoid bacteria which can infect/damage their barbels. Gravel traps the bacteria and debris easier and it can build up.

Hello and welcome.
Yes, it's annoying that aquariums do this. I have experienced every type of algae there is and still haven't won the war. These measures have helped though:-
  • ensure the tank does not get a lot of sunlight by locating away from windows/ skylights
  • remove as much algae as possible during weekly maintenance. This is a real chore but the more you leave in, the more it will multiply. As the weeks go by you will notice a reduction in algae.
  • restrict tank lighting to six hours a day and reduce the intensity of the light if it is dimmable.
  • reduce feeding, excess nutrients feed the algae
  • keep the tank and filter clean to reduce excess nitrates. Rinse the filter sponges/ media in used tank water to remove the sludge
  • have live plants, especially floating plants, to use the nutrients and shade the tank.
I also think changing your substrate will help. The white gravel shows the algae and some say white can stress fish. Your 'stripy bottom feeders' look like panda corydoras which would be healthier on playsand (i.e. Argos playsand £5/ 15KG) as they are filter feeders and need a really clean substrate to avoid bacteria which can infect/damage their barbels. Gravel traps the bacteria and debris easier and it can build up.
Perhaps a silly question this, but should I drain the tank to swap gravel for sand? Will the sand settle quickly enough so as not to upset the fish? Only ask as I've read a water change can upset them. Having said that, I've also read that a water change can be beneficial?

Wash the sand before you start as it will be dusty. Put some in a bucket and run water in, then pour off the dusty water. Repeat till it's all clear then do a bit more.
I would remove the fish while you change over. We have had members suffer fish deaths from things stirred up from the gravel when they left the fish in the tank. They just need to in a fish-only bucket or some other container with some tank water - with a covering, an old towel will do. If possible, run the heater and filter in there as well. The gravel will probably be full of muck so I would remove most of the water before tackling the gravel as you'll have to throw away the contaminated water.
The water will probably be a bit cloudy when the tank is refilled but that will settle. It shouldn't harm the fish.

Water changes shouldn't harm fish as long as they are done frequently - at least half the water every week. It's only when they are not done for ages that a water change can harm fish as the water in the tank has slowly changed to be very different from the new water going in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back