"green" Looking Water

Shadowfax

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a Juwel Vision 180 tank, I do weekly water changes but the water always looks a little green and not the nice colour it was when I look at the photos of when I first bought it :)

Any hint would be a great help.

It's probably floating algae. It could be that your nitrates /phosphates are too high, or you have the lights on too long /too bright. Adding some (more) plants would help as they would out-compete the algae for nutrients.
if the tank is relateively new, it should settle down easily enough.
If all else fails, a UV sterilizer or clarify would work great, I have a submersible model from "fish r fun" (whoever invented that name should be SO ashamed of themselves - its SO cheesy).

What exactly is the function of a UV sterilizer? I should be upgrading to a Juwel 180 soon and need to get the tank as maintenance free as possible... :look:

It's a unit with a strong UV light in it, which sucks water in, passes it in front of the light, and returns it tot he tank.
The UV light breaks down the cells of water-bourne "undesireables" - algae, whitespot and other parasites, bacteria, etc.
Obviously the inlet /outlet is protected so fish can't get sucked in.
And it doesn't affect bacteria in the filter media as they aren't floating about in the water.
However, you often don't need them - good tank maintenance / care/ stocking should mean paraiste outbreaks aren't a concern, and there are other ways to get rid of algae.
They aren't maintenance free, either, as you need to repalced the bulb fairly frequently (I think every 5 months or so), and clean the unit itself.
You still need to do water changes etc as they don't affect nitrate or other chemical nasties.
I got mine becuase of really bad green water, I have discus so was doing lots of water changes, and had plants; I didn't want to do a higher-tec planted tank because was scared of using CO2 in very soft, acidic water with sensitive fish. Also, discus don't really like very bright lighting.

How often should I do a water change on my Juwel Vison 180L tank? And how much I normally do 4 buckets ever 2 weeks.

I have a Juwel Vision 180 tank, I do weekly water changes but the water always looks a little green and not the nice colour it was when I look at the photos of when I first bought it :)

Any hint would be a great help.

to start with it may be worth popping in a carbon section in your filter, this polishes the water but will need changed often. and i wouldnt leave it in all the time.

Most reactions

Back