Greedy Nigel!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tunagirll

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I've been wondering why he's been looking so fat... caught him today scrounging off the shrimp pellet I feed to my Kuhli loaches!

Needless to say I have to find a way to stop him, but I'm not sure how to make it impossible for him to access. Any suggestions?

Would it be possible for you to maybe put him in a breeders net while you feed the kuhlis?

Another way could be to distract him with his food (feed him with tweezers?) while the kuhlis are eating and hope that he is focused on his food and doesn't get a chance to eat any of the kuhlis.

The pellet lasts for the entire day or two. Do you think I should make it a smaller piece instead?

Yeah, could do, not sure if its supposed to be made smaller or not but its worth a try.

Yea break up the sinking pellets, so that all of the kuhlis can get at them all at once

I'd go with Fishaholic's suggestion and break up the pellet to a few smaller pieces. And when you say fat, does he just look a bit plump or obese? Some bettas can sometimes overeat and have digestion problems etc in the long run.

He looks like me after Christmas lunch.

I tried to feed small pieces, but it just encouraged Nige to have a stab at eating a whole piece. I have to give him credit - I've never tried to stuff a whole roast chicken into my gob in one go. I've now made a takeaway hula hut for the loaches.

Loaches.jpg

I love the little hut for the loaches while they eat!  LOL  So cute!  I once tried to keep a betta with some ADFs and the betta would eat all of his food and then go eat all the food I put out for the ADFs.  He looked like he swallowed a marble quite often.  I finally moved him out of the ADF tank because of that issue.

Now that's fine dining :p

I hope that fixes it!

I think it's done the job... Nigel is quite put out by the whole affair and practically jumped out of the tank to eat his breakfast. He's still on a fast (a real one this time!) so he's going to just have to suck it up for another couple of days until he doesn't look like he swallowed Santa.

The loaches do roll the pellet out of the hut now and then but it mostly stays in, so I'm happy :)

laugh.png

Neat solution!

Thats a great tip for anyone with similar set ups. 
laugh.png

Update: Don't try the hut!

Nigel nearly drowned after squeezing in through the entrance to get to the pellet and getting trapped inside. He's currently recovering :(

Oh no! :( Poor thing.
I hope he recovers quickly.

He is one determined betta for his food! 
laugh.png

Hope he recovers soon, poor lil' guy! 

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back