gravel

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

nonay

Reaction score
I have a little 2 gallon tank with 2 mollies and I think I need more gravel because the under gravel filter is showing. So, how do u add more gravel? do u have to take the fish out to do it? I just got the whole tank and fish 2 days ago so I think I might be bothering them too much. Maybe I should wait a while to add some more?? any suggestions?

Well since you already have the fish (even though you should've cycled it) I would wait a bit to add the gravel. But when you do add it, just place it in the area you want it, no need to take the fish out.

For an undergravel filter it's actually important that you have an even layer of gravel-- otherwise, waterflow tends to head to the section that's the most exposed, creating dead spots in the other sections of the filter. This makes the whole thing inefficient.

You can rinse the gravel before hand and add it to the tank-- carefully. You could certainly remove the fish beforehand if you prefer and leave them in a temporary holding tank or bowl. In a tank that small the whole operation shouldn't take that long-- I would imagine it would be more difficult for mollies to avoid falling gravel in a smaller tank :p HTH~

After you have washed the new gravel and made sure it is similar temperature at tank water, lower little cupfuls onto bottom and tip it out carefully. Then spread it out as needed

Most reactions

Back