gravel

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

tommy

Reaction score
Hi.I just joined.I need to know does the fish tank must have gravel/sand?Can I make do without it?

Tommy,

Just to give my 2 cents worth... I had a similar conversation with a friend recently.

It is possible to have a tank without any gravel/sand in it, but is it the best environment for the fish (especially if you are keeping bottom-feeders).

I have always tried to create a natural as possible enviroment for the fish, and find out if they have sand/gravel/wood/rocks etc in their natural habitat and copy it.

I am sure that others will add to the comments and will mention that the gravel/sand helps with the biological cycle in the tank, but I am not that scientific minded (although I do agree with it).

Jazz_UK

Hi Tommy

:hi: to the forum.

Gravel and sand are now mainly for display. If you do not need an under gravel filter, then you do not need to have gravel or sand in the tank. All my breeding and swimming out tanks are bare of anything, (a few of them have heaters in them).

The problem without having a substrate on the bottom of the tank, is that it takes a lot of work daily to keep the tank looking clean, even though it will always be cleaner then a tank with a substrate.

Why do you not want gravel or sand in the tank?

:hi: to the forum tommy. the previous guys were right on the money. it is not neccasary but will definatly make your tank look nicer. plus as Jazz said if you have any bottom feeders you would want a substrate for them to feed from.

Thanks.I just started my very first fish tank.I had a conversation with my friend over this topic and he said that gravel/sand is a must have for all fish tank.I does not understand why is it so?

Most reactions

Back