Gravel Vac Blues

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CrazyDiamond88

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello! I have always had trouble doing gravel vacs in my tank as it's so hard to start the flow.
I had a normal gravel vac and couldn't get it started so then I got a TOM battery operated one which is USELESS. It does pretty much nothing.
My betta has a white patch under him and I think it may be fungus from the bad gravel.
So my quest for a good vac continues...

Would this one be good for me? http://www.amazingamazon.com.au/fluval-edge-gravel-cleaner.html
Apparently it has an easy start siphon. Do these work?

Otherwise I'm happy to get a battery operated one but I think they're pretty expensive.

I have never been able to get a flow going in the suggested manner. I've always had to give a quick suck on the out-end (don't look at me that way, I clean it after every use) then quickly plop it in the bucket and that always worked. But, if you are a bit to squeemish for that 
blush.png
 I'm sure someone can give you a better answer.

If possible, you can submerge your hose fully into the tank (making sure it fills with water as you submerge it), stick your finger over the end, and when it's correctly positioned in/over the bucket, release your finger.

Works well in my tall tank, not so much in the long though, mainly due to the number of bits of glass in the lid that I can't be bothered removing.

scrage said:
I have never been able to get a flow going in the suggested manner. I've always had to give a quick suck on the out-end (don't look at me that way, I clean it after every use) then quickly plop it in the bucket and that always worked. But, if you are a bit to squeemish for that 
blush.png
 I'm sure someone can give you a better answer.
i agree this is the best way. it acts as a siphon and is very fast. rinse it off with some cheap whisky if you're worried about germs. remove your mouth quickly before the water gets too close or you'll get a mouthful. im sure woman are nornally better at this than men. 

you can put your finger over the drain hole, fill the cup, then release your finger creating the siphon that way but i find it to more difficult.

the trick is gravity. make sure your tank is up higher and your drain hole is down lower. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back