Gravel Turns Brown?

chris301up

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 18, 2008
Messages
60
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Birmingham - West Midlands UK
Hi everyone. ????

I have recently setup my old aquarium which is 36 x 18 x 12. It now has approximateley 25 baby Platies plus 5 small Tiger Barbs.

The problem I am currently expiriencing is that the gravel turns brown over a short period of time. I usually have to remove the substrate every 5 to 6 weeks to give it a good clean, but then the brown appears gradually from the centre of the tank, where the air stone is situated, and speads outwards from there and the cycle starts again.

I have an internal filter which I clean out regularly and this also gets a regular build up of this brown substance. I can only assume at this stage that this is a form of limescale?

I am tempted to invest in a Fluval, or similar, external filter but I am not sure this will rectify the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas, suggestions or remedies for this?

Any help would be appriciated.

Chris
 
seems to be brown algae. Increase your lighting and it should clear up.
 
It's quite common in new set ups, and it will go away...
 
yes i had the same, and was constantly shifting the gravel around,still get now and again but it dosent bother me anymore.( tend to get it in my biorbs more as im too lazy to bother turning the llights on)
but dont stress over it, im sure it will clear up
and welcome to TFF by the way :)
shelagh xxx
 
Thanks for your advise.

How long would you have the lighting on for?

I only have it on for about 1 hour in the morning and about 3 hours at night, otherwise I tend to rely on normal daylight.

Regards

Chris
 
The problem I am currently expiriencing is that the gravel turns brown over a short period of time. I usually have to remove the substrate every 5 to 6 weeks to give it a good clean, but then the brown appears gradually from the centre of the tank, where the air stone is situated, and speads outwards from there and the cycle starts again.

I have an internal filter which I clean out regularly and this also gets a regular build up of this brown substance. I can only assume at this stage that this is a form of limescale?

Ok, my advice - may be right, may be wrong :lol:



If you're cleaning the gravel every 5 to 6 weeks, then I suggest a different tactic. Get a gravel hoover thing from your LFS, and perform a 20% water change twice per week - this will remove most of the muck in the gravel. 20% is usually the amount of water that comes out of my tank when I've cleaned all my gravel. 20% is also a nice amount to change each time.


Your internal filter should have more than 1 piece of media - if its a fluval it probably has 2 sponges. In a bucket of water taken from the tank, clean 1 sponge every 2 weeks. This will keep them free enough of debris to keep the flow-rate up, but will preserve the bateria in the filter to keep your nitrites and ammonia down.


In the long term, this practise will get you past most standard problems - of course, strange things do seem to happen in fish tanks!!!!
 
Thanks for your advise.

How long would you have the lighting on for?

I only have it on for about 1 hour in the morning and about 3 hours at night, otherwise I tend to rely on normal daylight.

Regards

Chris

The brown diatoms can also be worse with too little light...try 8 hours of light.
 
Thanks for all your advice.

I'll give it a go over the next few weeks or so.

Just one other question. I'm still not convinced that the filter is adequate so I will probably try another as well.

Appologies for my incompetence but does anyone know if a Jewel heater/filter will fit any other tank, or are they designed specifically for Jewel tanks only?

The reason I ask is that I have been offered one at the right price and am tempted.

Thanks

Chris
 
Hi, Chris,
just wanted to mention that if you'd actually been removing gravel from the tank to clean it, this could be part of the reason the brown algae, assuming this is indeed the the problem, (?) has been continuing.
I hadn't realized this previously, but apparently, since every surface in the aquarium becomes populated with nitrifying bacteria, even too thorough gravel cleaning inside the tank can cause a spike/mini-cycle, at best upsetting the balance encouraging algae.
Somewhere, Murphy is laughing and creating new bylaws...
 
Hi Syphoniea

Yes you are probably right?

I have now been to my local aquatics store and explained the problem to them. They also feel that I have been cleaning the tank far too often and this in turn causes the ongoing cycle.

Another problem appears to be that I may have the wrong sort of substrate. I currently have white gravel which apparently is also a little too course so I intend to change this in the next few weeks when I finally aquire a new tank.

I have also now intruduced some Otocinclus into the tank which I hope will also reduce any further algae.

I will post later to let you know if there is any success.

Thanks
 
Hi Syphoniea

Yes you are probably right?

I have now been to my local aquatics store and explained the problem to them. They also feel that I have been cleaning the tank far too often and this in turn causes the ongoing cycle.

Another problem appears to be that I may have the wrong sort of substrate. I currently have white gravel which apparently is also a little too course so I intend to change this in the next few weeks when I finally aquire a new tank.

I have also now intruduced some Otocinclus into the tank which I hope will also reduce any further algae.

I will post later to let you know if there is any success.

Thanks

Me? Potentially right?
Doesn't happen often - cherish the moment.

Anything that gives an excuse to have otos (or more otos, as the case may be) isn't all bad...
And congrats on getting another new tank, too, you lucky devil, you.
Hope to get details on that, so I can live vicariously.

Is the problem with the coarse gravel due to trapped particles?
I'm just curious because this is the first mention I recall hearing of coarse gravel contributing to brown algae which, as pointed out much earlier by others, is commonly associated with imbalances common to new tanks (and those over-thoroughly cleaned) and too-low lighting, although the latter probably only applies if you're planted, and with the little light you've had on this doesn't sound likely, unless you're by a window?
You did say you depended on natural light, which is great for some planted types...???
Coarse gravel is often a root-damaging pain to plant in and isn't good for various cats/loaches and whatnot, and does tend to trap particles, although I wound up getting some coarser than I like for a couple of tanks at various times because it was the finest size then available and wasn't (love that descriptive phrase) clown puke.
I had to pot several of the plants in one which has polished quartz I do like, but is tricky for getting some things rooted into.
Personally, I always feel fish are happier and healthier with lots of plants, so that affects my perspective...
Anyway, best of luck and hope to hear everything's working out just luverly soon.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top