grandparents in my bad books

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

appleblossom

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I went for a nice 5 day holiday in Portugal with my dad, step mum, and step brother. My grandparents agreed to come over every 2 days to feed my fish, my borthers gecko, and my rabbit.

Before we left I showed them my room, showed them all the tanks and left written instructions blu-tacked on the tanks. I also left a list of things to contact me about, ie white spot, fungus etc on the fish.

I cut up blocks of blood work into set sized chunks, and left one bag per tank in the freezer with enough food for each.

I put a post-it note on the fridge door telling them when and how to feed, and where the food was in the freezer.

Yesterday I got back after 9 hours flying and driving at 1am.

Suspended in the middle of my adf tank with one leg caught round a plant, was a completely white, fuzzy, fungus engulfed dead frog right in the centre of vision in the tank.

Under the filter was another dead frog with no fungus yet, the rest looked listless.
I couldnt understand why they hadnt removed the dead frog and let it get so bad in the tank, which was now killing the rest of them.

So completely exhausted at 1 am I did a 100% water change and crossed my fingers. Today the rest were dead or dying so I put them all to sleep. Only my betta seems to have come out reasonably unscathed with just some fin rot.

I went to feed the fish and found all of the bags of food untouched in the freezer. They hadnt even gone in my room to feed or check on the fish, no wonder they didnt find the dead frog when it died.....they fed the gecko, and the rabbit, and left post it notes on the fridge saying there was fresh milk and bread so its not like they didnt go round, they just didnt bother doing what I had asked them to do :(

The best suggestion I've heard so far is "just explain to them that when they get senile, you'll look after them just like they looked after your fish"

That's horrible, I'm sorry for your losses :( Let us know what they say when you ask them about it. Make sure they know what died because of their lack of doing what they said they'd do.

Linda

appleblossom said:
The best suggestion I've heard so far is "just explain to them that when they get senile, you'll look after them just like they looked after your fish"
I'm sorry that your frogs and other pets were so poorly cared for, but remember, you can choose your pets but you can't choose your family. They're still your grandparents, and they're harder to replace than ADFs.

Still, I am very sorry about your fish. I am sure that they lived an ejoyable life with you there, and it was very noble of you to put them out of their misery before it was too bad.

I'm sorry for your losses. They do need to know what you lost and should pay for the new ones, IMO.

Take care.

:( sorry for your losses. Did your grandparents say why they didnt bother to feed them?

I'm sorry for your loss of your froggies. I think next time you should aks one of your mates to babysit so they can look after all the animals and make them sleep in your room so the humming of the tanks keeps then awake and reminds them to feed the fish.

hehe good idea sailfingirl :)

I havnt spoken to them yet so I havnt been able to ask why they did everything else except what I had asked them to do.... need some time to calm down first so I dont bollock them. Still my grandparents after all.

Thanks all for the consolations

Most reactions

Back