Gourami’s

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tillysmum

Reaction score
Hi , how many Dwarf Gourami’s could I keep in a 46 ltr fluval edge tank ? I only have a couple of neon tetra in there at the moment

Well, firstly, you need more neon tetra. They're a schooling species and become stressed and feel unsafe when they don't have conspecifics in the tank. You should have at least six of them, but more is better. Although, I don't think I'd put more than maybe 10 in that sized tank.

As for the dwarf gourami, you could potentially house one in that tank, but that could be pushing it. Do note that dwarf gouramis often come with a whole host of diseases though. They're heavily bred with no attention paid to breeding for healthy animals. As a result, they're often very sickly. One of the most common diseases they get is a type of iridovirus specific to dwarf gouramis, there's no cure, and there's also some evidence that it can be passed to other species in the same tank.

I would think twice about getting a dwarf gourami unless you can find one from a local hobbyist. The real issue are the mass-farmed fish. If someone has been keeping healthy gourami and have gotten them to breed, there's a better chance that those offspring will survive. If you do decide to get a dwarf gourami from the store, make sure to quarantine it in its own setup for a full 30 days. No sharing equipment between setups, and no breaking quarantine early, even if the fish looks alright. Some diseases take a few weeks to manifest, and I would want to be especially careful with a notoriously sickly farmed species like dwarf gouramis.

Well, firstly, you need more neon tetra. They're a schooling species and become stressed and feel unsafe when they don't have conspecifics in the tank. You should have at least six of them, but more is better. Although, I don't think I'd put more than maybe 10 in that sized tank.

As for the dwarf gourami, you could potentially house one in that tank, but that could be pushing it. Do note that dwarf gouramis often come with a whole host of diseases though. They're heavily bred with no attention paid to breeding for healthy animals. As a result, they're often very sickly. One of the most common diseases they get is a type of iridovirus specific to dwarf gouramis, there's no cure, and there's also some evidence that it can be passed to other species in the same tank.

I would think twice about getting a dwarf gourami unless you can find one from a local hobbyist. The real issue are the mass-farmed fish. If someone has been keeping healthy gourami and have gotten them to breed, there's a better chance that those offspring will survive. If you do decide to get a dwarf gourami from the store, make sure to quarantine it in its own setup for a full 30 days. No sharing equipment between setups, and no breaking quarantine early, even if the fish looks alright. Some diseases take a few weeks to manifest, and I would want to be especially careful with a notoriously sickly farmed species like dwarf gouramis.
Hi thanks for your reply . Looks like I better just get more Neon Tetras then !

Hi thanks for your reply . Looks like I better just get more Neon Tetras then !
Definitely a good plan. Quarantine rules apply to neons too, since they're often also from large farms, but they're not quite as notorious as the dwarf gouramis for illness. If they pass their quarantine, they're pretty solid fish. The best way to lower the chances of getting sickly fish is to spend a good amount of time observing them in the shop. Look out for any physical deformities or spots or worms, make sure all the fish have good body condition and aren't skinny, look out for any odd behavior. They should all be alert and active, but not hyperactive. Also ask the employees or shop owners where they get their fish and what their quarantine policy is like. Most places won't do a full 30 day quarantine, but if you can find somewhere that does at least a week, that's a good sign.

You'll definitely enjoy having more of them though. With a group of at least six, you'll be able to watch them forage together, chase each other around, and sometimes school together. They're fun fish to watch.

Oh, and if you still want a gourami for the tank, honey gouramis are more peaceful and don't have the same health issues. One of them could do okay in that tank.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back