Gourami

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

thanishf

Reaction score
Suddenly my gouramis die. I had a pair of dwarf gourami and pair of pearl gourami. Few days back the female dwarf gourami died while i was looking at the tank. It struggled as if it got a stroke. Today when I wake up in the morning, the pearl gourami was dead. Its stomache was open.
I have mixed Danios, Diamond tetras and blue polar parrots with them. All of them are happy. Even this gourami was happy the last night. It was swimming all around and playing with the other. It had no sign of any disease or sickness. Its sudden death for both. All other fishes are healthy and happy.
There aren't any testing kits in aquarium storea nearby to check water quality. I am using a sump filter the water is well circulated. Is it normal for gouramis to die like this? Even in my old tank I have experienced this. They fall just while you watch them.

It isn't normal to have it happen to 2 fish in a short period of time, and if it has happened before, it is probably chemical poisoning from something in the water supply.

Are you using mains water or well water?

Normally I would suggest doing a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week after losing a fish. You can try that and I would look into getting the tap water tested by an independent lab to find out exactly what is in the water. Until then maybe add some Activated Carbon to the filter to help remove chemicals or heavy metals that might be in the water.

I use main water. Would be due to the reasons you have said. I have both bio, and mechanical filtration, but no chemical. Will activated carbon remove the heavy metal?
Because, at times the water would smell rusty and for sure its chlorinated. I always use the water from the Stock Tank, reducing the risk of chlorine, but not the rust.

Carbon or Activated carbon will remove some heavy metals.

If you have chlorine or chloramine in the tap water, you need to use a dechlorinator to neutralise the chlorine/ chloramine before using that water in an aquarium containing livestock.

Carbon or Activated carbon will remove some heavy metals.

If you have chlorine or chloramine in the tap water, you need to use a dechlorinator to neutralise the chlorine/ chloramine before using that water in an aquarium containing livestock.
Thank you for the valuable advice.
Currently lockdown in my country? ill get them as soon as the shops are open, hope it resolves the problem.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back