Gourami Information

JakeTheFrog

Reaction score
A web search for any type of Gourami brings up multiple sites that can't seem to agree on their information... I've read so many contradictory statements about Gourami that I'm not sure what is accurate. So I was hoping to get info from some people that actually have experience with these fish.

I have a 40G (US gallons - 36.6" L x 18.6" W) that has not been set up yet. I currently have a 20G high with one 4" Pleco and three Pearl Gourami (2 male, 1 female). I realize that multiple males in one tank is not ideal (local fish store mix-up), but these three get along great, which is a bonus.

Proposal:
I would like to move my Pearls to the 40G and add more fish to that group. I currently have a 3" African Clawed Frog in a 10G that I would like to move to the 20G with the Pleco (she needs to be isolated...). I have no further plans for the 10G - other than maybe a backup in case of sickness, or something.

Here are my questions:
1.) What type of filter is best for the 40G? I'd be looking for something relatively economical - nothing high end, but definitely not cheap, either.
2.) What are some basic suggestions for setting up the new 40G before introducing the fish? Chemicals? Salt? Live or fake plants? Other things to consider? I have a heater for the tank.
3.) What other Gourami can I add to the 40G without it becoming "overcrowded"? My thoughts were 2 Opaline, 2 Gold, and maybe one more female Pearl for a total of eight Gourami. Male/Female ratio? 4:4 or less males than females? I'm also thinking of adding some Corys to clean up the bottom of the tank - unless there is a better suggestion for that. A Pleco?
4.) Being that Gourami are Labyrinth fish, I was considering NOT putting a plastic hood on the 40G like I currently have on the 20G. However, I read somewhere that Gourami can jump? Is this actually accurate, or would I be fine without a hood?

Is there anything further that I should consider when moving forward with the 40G?

Thanks!

Most reactions

Back