Gourami help

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

lee_k

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

So - tank has been setup a maybe coming up to a few months now, some of the fish in there are dwarf gourami (2 female, 1 male).

Now the males has built a bubble nest - now i wasnt trying to breed and there are other fish in the tank so the changes of any fry surviving are slim to none.

However its friday...and i do my water change on a friday.
What do i do? - If i do the water change will that disturb the nest? - I cant just not do the change, especially in such a fresh tank..... help!?

Lee

If the bubblenest is attached to the side of the glass it might come apart when you do the water change and the water level drops. However, the male will usually repair the nest if this happens.

The fish are worth breeding. Depending on what other fishes are in the tank will determine how many babies survive. The following link has info on breeding honey gouramis, and while they are different species, the basics are the same.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/...-but-unknown-orbs-remain.449398/#post-3797604

The following link has information about preparing food for baby fish.
https://www.fishforums.net/threads/back-to-basics-when-breeding-fish.448304/

Well if you don't want to breed (I don't either) than simply do your water change and don't worry about whether the eggs survive (but if you don't suck up all the eggs they may be OK). You could also wait a few days for them to hatch and then (depending on how good this particular fish cares for it's young) then you could pick up an inexpensive 5 gallon tank and put the fry (and parent(s) in there until the fry are big enough to take care of themselves. Once you've moved the fry out of the big tank you can safely do a water change, Just make sure these parents aren't the type to eat the fry. Sometimes the male guards the fry and you have to remove the female (or remove the male plus the fry into a smaller tank).

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back