FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Gold_Gourami_Man

Reaction score
I have a 75 gallon tank with 4 Gold Gouramis, 3 Pearl Gouramis, 1 Snakeskin Gourami, 6 Rosy Barbs, 1 X-ray Tetra, 1 Pleco, 1 gold algae eater, and 3 Neon Tetras.  I am currently feeding the Gouramis, Tetras, and Barbs Tetramin tropical flakes every morning and freeze dried tubifex worms 2-3 times a week.  Is this a sufficient diet for them, or should I supplement with brine shrimp, blood worms, live foods, etc.?

You could occasionally throw in some "special treats"... but I think you are doing fine. Are you supplementing your pleco and GAE with anything?

Gouramis love green foods. My gourami practically ate an algea wafer whole. Peas can also be a special treat!

I give the algae eaters Wardley algae discs every 2-3 days, and the gouramis peck at those if they see them falling, but the barbs really go after them on the bottom.  I have tried putting greens (I think it was kale) in the tank, but nobody would touch it.  I think I've tried cucumber before, too, but the only ones that really go for this stuff are the barbs.

Your feeding regimine sounds good, though I'd be more worried about the algea eatter/pleco myself. I don't have any, so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to give you any advice.

I'm not sure how to get the pleco to eat veggies.  He doesn't eat them when I give them to him.  Any ideas on how to coax him into eating them?

Your suppose to feed a pleco before you turn off your aquarium lights because they are Nocturnal (think thats how you spell that haha)
The food you are feeding your Gouramis seems great to me.  Just don't overfeed them becaues they are known to get bloat which is very common for bettas and gouramis. I was over feeding mine and a couple of them got bloated stomachs and one even died. Their stomach is only the size of the eyeball remember. And fish only need to eat small amounts.

Hopefully that helps some

Sounds like a great diet to me.

Gourami diet in the wild is generally geared towards insects and underwater organisms. In foodfish farm culture and rice paddies they are introduced to eat hydras and mosquito larvae. They then turn to eat algae when live prey is no longer available.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back