Gourami Advice Needed

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Munroco said:
I knew a 36*15*12 was 20 gals, 5/6 of that is just under 17 gals.

Umm, sorry, but no, i also have another tank that is actually 36 x 12 x 15 tank, and that is a 25 US gal long tank.....

More specifically its actually 28 US gal or 106 litres a ccording to this forum's calculator.
But subtracting for substrate and plants, it is good for at very least 20 to 25 gal Us tank.

Again, I'll ask, how did you come to these figures?

I calculate a 36x12x15 (in inches) as 28 US gallons, 23 UK gallons.  A 30x12x15 (again in inches) is 23 US, 19 UK gallons.  These volumes are the entire space, empty, rounded to the nearest whole.  Substrate and decor displaces some of the volume obviously.

I'm fairly confident of these calculations, as I have checked others using this calculator.

Back to the original question: I used to keep 3,2 in a heavily(!) planted 54l tank without problems. Two of the males established territories and the third still found spots to stay out of sight. Imho there is no need for 1:2 ratio of the sexes. I would sit and wait and am pretty optimistic that it works in your tank with the current fish.

Keep us updated? Are the males chasing each other already? Usually they settle for an territory pretty quickly.

Be aware of the fact this specias doesn't like current at all!

This is where we will agree to disagree :lol:

But good to hear that this can work in some tank set ups, always interesting to hear of this sort of information.

Currently, the dominant male is chasing the other male, also the larger female is chasing the smaller female.

This is where I think 3F : 1M works best in a tank set up like i have, the 3 females will help dissipate agression and in my tank size and set up there is not enough room to establish territories :/ unfortunately!

So I will go wiht my plan to rehome one male and buy a new female (maybe even 2 more females unless thats asking for trouble)

As for current, its pretty gentle inside the tank, i put in more holes at 90 deg angle on the spraybar with a eheim 150, lots of ripples at surface but the floating plants helps to reduce the actual flow in the tank whihc makes its pretty ideal for gouramis.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back