Gotta Love My Hubby =)

JustKia

Fish Herder
Joined
Nov 18, 2008
Messages
1,068
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Warwickshire, UK
He's just told me that in the next couple of months he'll jiffle stuff around, remove one of the wardrobes and I can have a 240L (120x40x50cm) tank... and it's up to me to either chose to sell the 125L or keep it and maybe turn it into a nano reef.

I'll be adding the current stock and would like to add more small, peaceful fish.
3 zebra and 3 leopard danios (don't really want to add to these)
8 neon tetras (again don't really want to add to these as the ones I do have don't hassle my betta or vice versa)
3 adult & 2 juvie peppered corys (would like to add a couple more)
3 albino corys (definitely want to add at least 2 more males, possibly long fin)
6 kuhli loaches (probably think about upping them to 20ish)
2 endlers (would like to add to these)
5 pygmy corys (don't really want to add to these)
1 male betta (obviously not planning on adding to him either) - very peaceful little chap
cherry and amano shrimp, malaysian trumpet snails, 4 zebra nerite snails and 1 red ramshorn.

I'd like to add something to keep the pest snail population under control, but at the same time I don't want to kill off my nerites, ramshorn or mts and something that inhabits the upper levels of the tank.
Maybe some of the following:
6 glass cats (k.minor)?
4 sterbai corys?
bn plec? (1 or more?)
4-6 botia sidthimunki? (will these help with the snail population?)
6 dwarf rainbows?
6-12 of some sort of small rasbora (brigittae, trilineata or harlequin)?
It will be heavily planted - low tech, good circulation as the 240 comes with a Fluval 305 and I will also have my current 405. Will stick with sand substrate.
Any other suggestions that don't include removing any of the current stock?
 
have you considered pitbull plecs they are fun little plecs - about 2-2.5 inches fully grown and like to be kept in little groups

top level fish - java eyed rice fish (Oryzias Javanicusi) - these stay mostly on the top levels of the tank
glass cats - i would get 8 if i was you mine were a lot more outgoing when i added the extra ones - when i had 6 they hid all day

WOW arent hubbys lovely :wub:

have you thought of green rasboras - Microrasbora kubotai - they are really stunning

Harlequins will look great they take up the middle levels of the tank so dont know how they would fit with the other fish you are planning
 
I would say turn It into a nano reef as long as you are willing to part with some of your cash, as saltwater nanos can really look good, especially if it is around the 100L mark.
 
Thanks Sarah,
microrasbora kubotai are rather nice looking - I think they're a defnite maybe =) having a look at the pitbull plecs too.

Hi D&D the new tank will be FW as it's upgrading what I have right now.
If I choose to keep the 125L that will be the one to be a nano reef, but not right away - need to do a lot of reading up first LOL
 
Yeah check out a few stickys on the saltwater section first, I learn't from starting with hardy fish, reading a couple of books, asking for advice etc. You won't take long to pick it up :)
 
Thanks Sarah,
microrasbora kubotai are rather nice looking - I think they're a defnite maybe =) having a look at the pitbull plecs too.

Hi D&D the new tank will be FW as it's upgrading what I have right now.
If I choose to keep the 125L that will be the one to be a nano reef, but not right away - need to do a lot of reading up first LOL

microrasbora kubotai i've seen these at a couple of maidenhead aquatics so they'll be able to get them for you if you end up getting them
 
Hi JustKia :)

That's wonderful news! :thumbs:

IMHO, glass cats are a great choice. They are very peaceful and beautiful. A BN pleco would be a good addition too. They are just as apt to be found high up on the glass as on the bottom.

I'm glad to learn you are thinking about adding some more corys too. There are so many kinds, and it's often just a matter of being in the right place at the right time to find something unusual. Here are some you might like:

C. schwartzei and C. arcuatus (skunk corys):
Blacks-Skunks.jpg


C. robinae:
3robinae.jpg
 
i would definately contact drewry about some black corys shown in inch's pick he has some available for sale most of the time and they are lovely fish

also venezualians are gorgeous
pic of my pregnant female venezualian , my young bn plec and my young sterbai

1084-1.jpg
 
if you were going to keep the betta in a different tank i would say some honey gouramis but seeing as he's settled and happy in with that crowd
maybe some honeys and sparkling gouramis for the 125 when you set it up
 
LOL Inchworm I do not need encouraging on the cory front - I think my perfect tank would have a huge foot print but not particularly deep and I'd just have hundreds of corys and kuhlis :hyper: My LFS has albino sterbai, I know some people don't like them but I'm a sucker for albino critters

Sarah - great idea, drewry has some gorgeous corys - I've seen his posts sometimes.

Ad - yep I've decided LOL the whole point of the new tank is a FW upgrade :good: 'fraid that cichlids just don't do it for me (although some are very nice looking).
I'd just rather have lots of small fish than a pair of something larger - but that's just me and I know many people have fab looking tanks with a few larger fish.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top