Got Them !

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Back in the fold

That One Guy
Reaction score
They were shipped Monday the 22nd and just got here an hour ago. Think about it , the better part of five days rattling around in cargo jets and trucks and they arrived alive. All three pairs. Getting them acclimated and settled in now. Aphyosemion australe Orange Red Hjerresen variety. Once known years ago as the Cap Lopez to German aquarists , the Cameronensis to Americans and then the Lyre-Tail. I shouldn't do this but I am already counting my eggs before they hatch. Wait until the Pet Shop Lady gets a load of these.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 57
It's a good fish, either massively cooperative with breeding, or incredibly stingy. I have a pair here who have produced what looks like a second pair, but it's been a battle.

A killiekeeping observation. Often in the week after arrival from a trip like that, a pair will produce a lot of eggs. It sometimes seems that about 2 weeks after, their bodies slow right down for recovery, and you get very few eggs for a bit.

A killie keeping observation. Often in the week after arrival from a trip like that, a pair will produce a lot of eggs. It sometimes seems that about 2 weeks after, their bodies slow right down for recovery, and you get very few eggs for a bit.
It's not just killifish that do that, rainbowfish and a number of fishes from the south-west of WA do it too. It's a survival instinct where the fish think they are going to die due to stress like a diminishing water supply or major change in environment. The adults spawn prolifically in an attempt to produce some offspring before the adults die. The end result is often a pool of water with a bunch of dead adults and a heap of babies in.

Thanks @GaryE that's good stuff to know and I thought about why and as soon as I got to @Colin_T 's post he said just what I was thinking. Survival of the species. They settled in nice today and were really active. The males are really drivers . They just sniffed and picked at their food but that is to be expected since they were still exploring their new homes. BBS did the trick. No small fish can resist that. Maybe tomorrow I can get some pictures. That bright Orange Red color is beautiful. So deep and intense. I've never seen anything like it.

I did get a massive grin when I saw "BEHOLD!!"
:rofl:

Gorgeous! They really are! I hope you get some fry from all those eggs they laid! They're really beautiful, I want some now!

I did get a massive grin when I saw "BEHOLD!!"
:rofl:

Gorgeous! They really are! I hope you get some fry from all those eggs they laid! They're really beautiful, I want some now!
The only word that need be said . . . BEHOLD ! ! !
These are the prettiest fish I have ever had ever. I am unworthy.

Well, I'm fifty days in with them. They are all still alive and healthy. They eat well and the females are plump. No eggs, no fry. Nothing. Got some Salvinia and that may have changed things. They are more outgoing now with the top cover and I saw one pair swimming upside down and spawning into the Salvinia Rasbora Het style. Time will tell but this Aphyosemion experiment feels like it's going to be a flop.

Well, I'm fifty days in with them. They are all still alive and healthy. They eat well and the females are plump. No eggs, no fry. Nothing. Got some Salvinia and that may have changed things. They are more outgoing now with the top cover and I saw one pair swimming upside down and spawning into the Salvinia Rasbora Het style. Time will tell but this Aphyosemion experiment feels like it's going to be a flop.

Hey now! If they're plump, then they're well conditioned, and if you saw them spawning, then why would it be a flop?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back