Got My Gourami! What To Add Next?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Miller2009

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Today I went down to my lfs and got a pair of pearl gouramis both female which I think is a bonus. Just wondering what else to add as the middle of my tank looks a little bare and I would love it to be filled so can someone please suggest something to fill the gap?

2 pearl gouramis (female)
2 guppies
5 neon tetra
3 julii cory (getting more when back in stock)
1 German blue ram
1 pleco

The other half tells me she defo wants a frog so that will be getting added soon enough.

Firstly, congrats on the gourami! Great choice of fish :)

Secondly - what dimensions are the tank? We need to know how much room you have to play with :)

Sorry I forgot to say its a 165l (about 44 us gallon)

Metka said:
Firstly, congrats on the gourami! Great choice of fish
smile.png
2nd that

i reckon another shoal of tetra or something like that 

Would a good sized schooling of 8 black phantom tetras work? Would that be close to overstocking or not? Of should I add 2 smaller schools of mid water fish?

Watch out for nipping between the phantoms and the gourami.

I'd opt for +5 more neon tetras.

i got 4 phantoms, 6 rosy tetras in with my 4 gouramis and never seen any sign of nipping, 

Would a small schooling of silver dollars work in the tank or would that be asking too much?

Silver dollars grow large! Typical size 12cm Max size 15cm

I would suggest against those for your tank.

So what kind of other larger fish would work in my tank or something active for the middle as its looking bare

Miller2009 said:
So what kind of other larger fish would work in my tank or something active for the middle as its looking bare

Some Rainbow fish ,school of about 6 would look awesome .

Im thinking of getting some Boesemani Rainbows .. Stunning !

+1 for the rainbows. Fantastic looking, and great movers too.

You could always go my route - grab a few angelfish! Not the fastest of movers, but they love to sit in the middle range of the tank - and when growing look absolutely stunning.

The rainbows look stunning so they a option. Heard angel fish can be a little aggressive

Angels can be a little aggressive, but it all depends on the amount you are keeping, and the specimine itsself.
The more you keep, generally the quieter they are - same with most fish (except those oddballs that like to be kept alone).

Any other fish that have caught your eye?

I'm very open to any fish as long as they are compatable with what I have. Those rainbow fish are tempting but not sure if my LFS stock them, would a pair of angelfish work?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back