Got me a Monster!

Ask for permission. Explain it was a gift and the best method you have found is to take it in the window but you need to remove the window to put it in.

Also explain that if the windows gets damaged you will cover the repairs. Hopefully it is a smaller window (36x24 or something) so that it isn't expense to repair.

I think its possible to pay them to come and take the window out. Im not sure of the costs but this might be the way to proceed :*)

Navarre.

I know you are not a nvice and have a good idea what you are getting yourself into, but....

Do you fully realize how heavy the tank is and the damage that might occur by the stress of turning and manuevering the tank? I just recently got a 6x6x2 glass tank. If it would have been 2 pounds heavier than it was, I doubt we would have been able to carry it! :lol: And I am talking about a pair of 2 meter men.

HAve you given your window a very good going over? Most usually do come apart rather easily.

GL

PS. Great tank!! :thumbs:

Yeah GL, the tank is proving a real daunting prospect. not only will i have to close down all my exsisting systems but the living room will have to be totally redesigned and this means new furniture etc. The floor will very likely need strengthening although i am hopeful i can support some of the weight by drilling the stand firmly into the brickwork of the wall.

Even though i would love this tank as the showpeice of my house i am beginning ot realise that this project is going to be mammoth indeed! What i am looking into now is perhaps dismantling the tank and resizing it into a 6x2x2. This will make the tnk fit nicely without too much fuss and its still a nice size to keep almost all the fish i would want (still unsure if its big enough for a Sohal tang but nevermind).

As the tank is given free this means i have plenty of 10mm glass to make the conversion should i want too. Purchasing a new 6x2x2 would be quite expensive and i could stil have a nice large tank for free :D

After much deliberation and discussions (mainly with the wife :crazy: ) I have decided to attempt this monster in my living rooms after all! I was considering exhcnging this tank for a smaller 6x2x2ft tank. This would fit far easier and would give plenty of rooms (150 UK gallons... 180 US gallons) But after chatting with a friend of mine who fits tanks as part of his trade he has assured me that it will fit in the room.. failing that then he will "make" it fit :-(

So the planning phase is now going to take place. The floor needs strengthening before any steps are taken so this will be the first obstical to overcome.

Once the floor has been strengthend then I can start to build the new stand for it.

I will place a new thread and show a list of photos in a step by step guide as I am sure it will be of some help to peopleout there who want to start up a marine tank be it small or large.

BTW, the New tank is 7ft long, 2ft high and 2.5ft depth of vision. This gives a total volume of 218 Gallons UK or 261 gallons USA. !!! Finally enough room for the Achilles tang and lipstick tang i want (though i probably wont get a litstick). Im still doubtful I have enough room for that Sohal tang i so desperately would love to have :*)

Just my 2 cents after you get it in the living room would it be possible to mount it in one of those brick walls. That would look spectacular !!!!! :cool:

IM actually looking into this at the moment.
I feel a wooden stand could work but bricks look the easier and by far the stronger option.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back