Got Blue Green Algae Now!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MrsM

Fishaholic
Reaction score
finally got rid of ich and thought i was back on track and today ive noticed dark green stringy stuff in the waterchange water as i tipped it into the sink, the water also smelt "odd"...i went and inspected the tank and all over a few of the decorations is what i have found out is blue green algae, i tried to get a pic but my camera is pants and the pics are blurry, ill keep trying though...
so.......... how do i fix it?
i read water changes regular....every day??
each time i do a water change should i scrub the green stuff off with the used water i removed from tank?
i read there is a medication to kill this bacteria...but will that mess up my newly cycled(AGAIN) tank?
also read about a black out??

please help!!! :eek:

ok well ive looked it up..im going to give the (fake) plants and the ornaments a scrub in used water from my tank and get rid of as much "algae" as i can, then im going to wrap my tank in black bin bags and black the tank out for 3 days.....if that fails ill do the same again but for longer.....any advice on whether this is a good plan or am i stupid? and will i need to clean the filter when the blackout is over?

for anyone reading this with the same problem looking for answers...i found this site.... http://www.essortment.com/reverse-bluegreen-algae-bloom-170429.html hope it helps you as it did me....ill give anything ago...**claire goes to kill the algae with a gravel cleaner and bucket in hand**

P9300090_zps4d0c5fde.jpg

I have this problem too, had it for about 3months. I've tried the blackout a few times, it works, but it also makes my plants suffer and the BGA is quicker to grow back. Ive started doing bigger weekend water changes, but havent seen any improvement. Its alos impossible to pull it all out. let me know how it goes!

Adam

It worked for me....3 days and i had a major clean up before and after the blackout, i think my reason for the out break was too much bottled bacteria...plus my tank was treated for ich using a copper med, bga "feeds" pn copper too i read...... :dunno: good luck

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back