Good tank mate?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

i would suggest something bigger like a lep plec cause they get big like 1.5 foot big thus any fish that wants to bully that has to be pretty shure of himself. and as i remebr it was placid and long living hard as a rock and does a good job on the alge.might get a new one myself.

Wow, he sure is a pretty boy! :D He looks like my new kitchen betta, Vasilok.
When Omelette had the 10 gallon to himself, he was there alone for about 10 days, and we got a 2" common pleco. We set up a lava rock for the pleco to stick to, and never had problems. Never had problems adding the clown loaches to the betta's tank either.

I added a 3 1/2 inch whiptail catfish today and they seen to be getting along just fine. when the whiptail gets too big for the hex 5 he is in I will move ghim to the community tank and throw 2 cory's in. I nknow my beta is mellow now (sans another male betta) he will attack his own reflection (to see what would happen I put a mirror on the back of the tank. he saw himself adn started attacking the reflection. I ofr coursere moved the mirror immediatly. wouldn't want him to hurt himself.

the mirror deal won't hurt your betta as long as it is done sparingly...it is actually a wee bit like betta arerobics lol... If they flare alot you may run the risk of him developing blown fin's...( fins look like they have been shredded into streamers) but an ocational mirror won't hurt..

Have you thought of a African Dwarf Frog as a tankmate? I know alot of people keep them together...Just make sure you have a good cover with no holes in it or you'll be searching for your loved ones on the carpet.. :sick:

mollymama,

I had not thought of that but my fiance wants an albino frog really bad. maybe I'll get one in a few weeks after the tank cycles. I sped it up a bit. fill it's capacity with water from my other tank and used floss from the main tank too. that little hex 5 is great, biowheel and all.

I have a dwarf frog with my betta in 10 gallon tank. They are getting along fine. The betta was real curious of frog at first, but just looking. Make sure you cover tank. My frog jumped from net onto floor when I moved him from 55 to 10 gallon tank. They stick to the floor!!! :hyper: I had to slide a piece of paper under him and cover him with my hand to pick him up. I was freaking out! :eek: Seems no worse for the experience. Had him for 18 months. Pretty hardy. thank God. :rolleyes:

Assuming this tank is at least 5 gallons:

Good tankmates: Dwarf African Frog, Common Guppy (not fancy), White clouds (excellent), Harlequin Rasboras, Cherry and Gold Barbs, Large Neons and Glolites, Large Ghost Shrimp, clown loaches, corydoras, non-brightly colored livebearers (if they're too bright, a male might mistake it for another betta, which I why I said no Fancy guppies.)

For Algae: Siamese or Chinese Algae Eaters are ok WHEN THEY ARE YOUNG! As they get larger, they get more aggressive. Plecos are placid and good for a large tank, but a fish that is excellent but overlooked is the Otocinclus. A cute 1.5" algae eater & Scavenger that is gentle. A group of 3-5 of these inexpensive fish will clear up algae quickly. Also, mystery/apple snails are excellent and do not multiply rapidly if you only have one.

be creative...just don't overcrowd and monitor carefully.

Tanked, just want to give you a heads up on getting an albino african dwarf frog. Make totally sure that you don't accidentally get an african clawed frog, these look very similar to an african dwarf frog. The difference is that the african dwarf will have a pointy head, and will not have black "toe nails". The african clawed frog has a more round head, and will have obvious black "toe nails" or claws on there feet. I don't know if you already knew this, but I thought that I should let you know since many LFS sales people don't know the difference and sometimes the frogs are mis labeled. The african clawed frog will end up eating anything it can fit in it's mouth, and will get the size of a baseball! So this is why it is imperitive that you know that you are buying an african dwarf frog, I LOVED mine! I will be getting a bunch when I move into the new house!

tanks superman, I knew there was a difference but did not know what. I need to wait for the tank to cycle nayway. for now it has my betta and a whiptail cat. when the whiptail outgrows the hex I will move him to the community tank.

Most reactions

Back