Gonna Take On Breeding

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

sunpirate2u

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well i did tons :shout: of research on betta breeding. i have most of the supplies other than, a glass chimney, sponge filter, and a large fry tank. here are my questions:

Instead of a chimney could i use a glass vase or my guppy trap?

My parents say that i have the maximum amount of tanks already in my house :grr: . So i was wondering if it would be ok to use my ten gallon breeding tank to raise the fry in after they hatch? :nod:

thx,
~andi :fun:

you might disturbe the nest with it but maby if ur careful, and a 10 gal might work but....... what happens if you get 100 babies? they would need a bigger tank in a week, i have a 20 gal and have 20 4 week old hm, too small a tank and they will be sickly and stunted. and what happens whaen you have to seperate them? and you will, sooner than the books say probally, i had to at 8 weeks! although its more normal to have to do so at 12, are your parents gonna be ok with hundreds of jars in the house? are they gonna be in your room? then it will be a hot summer, cause the easiest way to heat jars is to keem the room temp high, no air for you. do you have the right food , and what will you do with all the little guys when they are grown up?

Hi

Ref. Chimney.....just cut down a 2 litre coke bottle :good:

With regards to the 10 gallon tank, it all depends how many fry you end up with? Anything more than 15/20 and you'll be struggling.
The other thing to consider is at 2 months old they may need seperating, otherwise they could start damaging each other.

i do have quite alot of tank dividers, maybe i should wait a while for a bigger tank.......... *sigh* :sad:

if your wanting bigger tanks, think about going yard sale hunting, look in the paper and post on craigslist and freecycle that you want free tanks.

I have come by all but 1 of my tanks this way, and all the tanks came with so much used equipment that all I had to buy was 4 heaters. I saved myself several HUNDRED dollars doing it this way.

also dont discount using large plastic tupper ware containers as grow outs....I have two that I can use if need be. washed out large plastic soda bottles and washed out gallon milk jugs can make good grow out containers too.

I dont like useing a cut down coke bottle as a chimney, becasue my beastly fish can knock it down, michales arts and crafts has cheap chimneys in the candle section.

yeah get a few big grow out tanks if your parents let you 10gal to breed in, i just picked up a couple of 4 foot tanks for quite cheap looking in the paper.

Most reactions

trending

Back