Gonna Start One

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

afireinside

A Shrine To Madness
Reaction score
Ok, my dad agreed to a 12-20 gallon nano in the basement (which is more like my pad), so, what fish do you recromend?

Well, obviously, you can have more fish in the 20G, but its going to cost a bit more, because you need about 1 lbs LR for every 1 gallon.
I think a 10G would be best, you can buy the really cheap 10G kit at walmart, and that gives you a tank, a hood and a heater that are good to use.
You can use an empty filter too.

10-12G is fine to start with, just remember, the bigger the tank, the more stable things will be as your have more water volume.

Make sure you plan the tank well and don't be afraid to ask loads of questions in this thread.

You will need to think about..

Lighting (at least compact T5s if you just want soft corals)
Skimming (Not required but if you dont have one you will have to be religious about waterchanges)
Heating (Get a better heater than you need, its fairly important that the temp stays consistant)
Filtration (you can use the berlin method which is just using a skimmer and your live-rock to filter the tank although i'd probably suggest a little internal to polish off the water and to provide more mechanical filtration)

There are other things you will need to purchase if you haven't already got them.... Hydrometer, Test Kit, Salt, Sand & Tap conditioner if you don't plan on using R-O water - not 100% required).

Ben

Hi..consider a 20G long....it's easier to aquascape and the shallower depth is better if you are going to keep corals. However, your best first step is to spend a few weeks researching a nano marine aquarium. Most errors occur during startup and usually from lack of research....not recognizing early signs of tank threat....rushing to stock a tank....problems with fish and coral compatibility.

Take your time and when you are ready to startup, post your setup plans and we're all here to help. SH

I'm going with a 10 gallon. So, I want 2 Clownfish and 1 Firetail. Will I still have room in that 10 gallon for more fish? What about Sea Anenomies?

maybe just a pair of clowns.....i think 2 clowns and a firefish is a bit much. if you keep on top of the water and moniter constantly then it might work out for you. I personaly have 1 firefish, 1 clown and 1 clown gobby(which is a cute little fish that grows to 1.5 inches and tends to hide in the LR).

anenomies are a bad choice..........need perfect water, really strong lighting and regular feedings along with the fact that if it dies it will crash your whole tank.......simply put its not for begginers.

I'm going with a 10 gallon. So, I want 2 Clownfish and 1 Firetail. Will I still have room in that 10 gallon for more fish? What about Sea Anenomies?
No, no more room. In a 10g, if you have a pair of clowns, I wouldn't add anything else. No anemones either - very delicate and will crash your tank if/when it dies.

Agree with Parker..that is the disadvantage of going small....very restrictive with what you can stock and how many corals you can add to your tank. The 'goal' with a 10 gallon is to make the prettiest reef tank you can at the expense of adding a lot of corals and fish.

One of the main differences between FW fish and SW fish is the way they excrete wastes. FW fish take in a lot of FW and excrete a very dilute waste. SW fish take in sea water, extract FW and secrete concentrated waste. That is way SW fish do not tolerate high levels of nitrates compared to FW...higher concentrations can occur in their bodies.

So...it is more critical in a way NOT to overstock nano aquariums. A 10 gallon tank can't support more than 1-2 fish without jeopardizing the tanks welfare. SH

Ok, just two Clownfish, but where will they live? I thought they live in annenomes

Finding Nemo made you think that didn't it?

:p
Nope, they don't NEED a 'nem. They can live perfectly fine with out one and might take host to some other kind of coral, but they don't need one.

DD

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back