Goldfish Rescue

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aquascaper

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
So basically a friend is moving house, never been a very good fishkeeper (cant be bothered doing maintenance, etc.) and had neglected the tank which had 5 Goldfish in but now only has one due to obvious deaths. The remaining Goldfish was swimming in about 3" of unfiltered water (the filter was still stuck to the glass about 5" above the waterline) because she'd 'got the tank ready to move' but moving day kept being put off and it had been like that for about a month. She was going to kill the fish but couldn't bring herself to do it so asked me. Instead I offered to take the tank home and look after it until she was settled in the new house and she agreed.

So after removing about 3" of gravel, giving it a thorough clean the tank now looks like this:
20121009_184908.jpg

It will have to be a fish-in cycle but I'm wondering whether to move it to the 260l which will be home to three african clawed frogs. They won't bother it for a long time while I rehome it but my only problem is I don't like Goldfish and dont rwally want the hassle of a 4th tank, especially one going through a fish-in cycle :/

If you throw a bit of media from your other tank (if it's established) into this one, it'll already be cycled. I'd try to find somebody with a pond or something for the poor goldfish.

And that tank looks like a paper shredder

I can't resist mentioning

It's an Aqua One 418, was actually mine and I had a marine nano reef in it prior to giving it to our friend :)

I really don't want to use any of my established stuff as both my tanks are relatively new setups and I don't want to disturb anything. I guess I could stuff the filter sponge from the goldfish tank into my external for a few days and just leave the goldfish tank unfiltered seeing as I'll be doing daily water changes anyway (and it's been living in unfiltered water for months anyway).

Parents have a pond so might sneak it in there when they're not looking :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back